Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running throwover saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

thinking about these

anyone know anything about saddleman?

i can find them for 90 plus shipping online, comparable in size and shape to the HD bags..

Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Bandit29
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I used throwovers do I need saddlebag brackets to tie them to? Or can I tie them to the bike somewhere?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tack and Feed stores on line have some great deals on throw-over saddle bags

Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought mine used. W/ the stock 2-up seat & sissy-bar there's no need to tie them, and no need for supports.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit29
If I used throwovers do I need saddlebag brackets to tie them to? Or can I tie them to the bike somewhere?
Brackets are very easy to make. Get some 1/4" rod at your local Home Depot, a MAPP gas torch and bend it to your needs. I made a set for my GF's bike and they turned out fine and work great. I think I paid about 10.00 for the rod and slightly longer strut bolts.
Only problem is they are not easily detached, but that was ok for her needs, she leaves the bags on all the time.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:15 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of the Saddlemen that are what they call tear drop shape. I found them in a pile of used stuff at a local Yamaha dealer. The set I got does not have the shock cut out and I didn't want to take off my turnsignals. After playing around with them for a while I ended up getting a piece of aluminum that was about 3 ft long and bending it in a U shape to fit under the passenger part of my seat. I have the rubber bumpers for the seat glued to my rear fender and not the seat so the aluminum piece rests on those and not the fender. Once the piece was done I had it coated with truck bed liner then bolted the bags on with the yoke and all to the aluminum bracket. When I need the bags I simply remove the seat and throw the on. They sit a little wide because they are outboard of the shocks and turnsignals but there is nothing left behind when I remove them.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fox Creek Dyna Bags here. No need to relocate sigs, on and off in 2 minutes (that includes tying them down). Snug fit between shocks so they don't move much.

Nice quality. I don't keep them on all the time. Just when the temp requires layering or I am making a run for the wife.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i forgot the describtion
that is a pic of the fox creek leather bags, same as previous post but a thought i would give a different angle. they are great, fit great and very nice qaulity. I can fit my leather jacket in one side, but it is a tight fit. No need for brackets with these. not the cheapest throwovers but half the price of hd bags and imho better looking.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking about a set of these for mine but I'm getting a little confused about it all.

91008-82C

Fits '82-later XL, '08-later DynaŽ and '84-'99 SoftailŽ models
equipped with H-DŽ Chrome Saddlebag Supports.

The book sez they'll fit my Super Glide with the proper brackets. Doesn't mention re-locating the turn signals, but I'm wondering.

I found a site somewhere that said they're 12" wide, 11" High, 5" Deep, but the MoCo ain't sayin' what the dimensions are -- That I can find. But it looks about right.....??

HD also changed the part # suffix from a 'B' to a 'C' and raised the price by $60. Is there a difference that anybody might know about? The parts guys don't know.

If I don't have to re-locate the Turn Signals, I won't. I think the Bags might hide the 'Dumbo Look' of the signals. I'm also not all that interested in taking the bags on and off all the time. Actually -- Ever.

I'm essentially a lazy person. I like to jump on my bike and cruise. When it starts to be too much like work, I start to lose interest.

There seems to be plenty of room for the bags between the shock brace and the Turn Signal but I'd appreciate anyone's input on it. I think the bag, and the bag supports go over the outside of the shock. Or close to going over. I've been known to mis-estimate clearances and fitment plenty of times. I'd also appreciate people's opinions on the looks of running these bags on a '10 FXDC full time.

And pics, if anyone has them.

Thanks if you can help.

Quick Reply: anyone running throwover saddlebags?