Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in the gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
bencimino
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the gas tank?

I've got a 04 Dyna Super Glide, nothing major added performance wise, aftermarket pipes and other such chrome items. I took it to the shop to get a small oil leak fixed, while it was in he replaced the air filter cause it was trashed, and put new plugs in it.

Its cold here where i live, and i've been riding to work which is 11 miles away. The issue that i'm having now is i'll let her warm up, pushing the choke in as soon as possible, she idles fine, but when I put her in 1st and take off there is a very eratic loss of power, power no power very jumpy. Doesn't really matter which gear i'm in its about the same. After i go about a mile stop and let her just sit and idle for about 5 more minutes then get back on and go she's usually ok. I've only been putting in pure gas, so no corn. I used to be able to just fire her up, wait a few minutes take off with the choke fully pulled, go a mile push it in half way and go another mile, and push it in fully. (Like the manual says)

I had thought it might be the fuel screen/filter but wouldn't that continue to happen and not stop? I had also thought it might be some condensation in the tank causing water to collect and form at the bottom so I went and bought some winter boost from harley, haven't had a chance add that since it just snowed yesterday.

So anyway I'm not sure what the problem is i'm hoping someone else has had this problem and found out how to fix it.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to crank it and let it warm up before you jump on it and take off. It'll make a big difference.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was only a new air filter and plugs that were replaced / adjusted ... I'm guessing, but I'd say the plugs are wrong or gaped wrong.

Check the plug numbers to be certain they are what you use, and then take each one out and check the gap.

Maybe crud in the carb blocking the gas flow during idle.

Let's hope it's not an issue with a cracked intake. When it does fracture it causes a dramatic difference in idle when cold and and running when hot.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
bencimino
Intermediate

Last time i was on her, I let her warm up for a good 15-20 minutes, that why it was really weird.
The spark plugs had crossed my mind, the day after I got her back from the shop I had been going for about 10 miles, stopped at a traffic light, and she just died. She was obviously warmed up having gone that far. I'll check the plugs before the snow melts and I ride again.

So my moisture in the tank idea is a no go?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bencimino
Last time i was on her, I let her warm up for a good 15-20 minutes, that why it was really weird.
The spark plugs had crossed my mind, the day after I got her back from the shop I had been going for about 10 miles, stopped at a traffic light, and she just died. She was obviously warmed up having gone that far. I'll check the plugs before the snow melts and I ride again.

So my moisture in the tank idea is a no go?
I seriously doubt it's being caused by water in the gas but to ease your mind,drain the gas tank. Your carb is probably stopped up or you could adjust out on the screw on the backside about 1/4 turn to see if that helps.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Water would cause issues all the time. More sputtering and jerkiness.

Because of the recent change occurring when the plugs were put in I'd really check that out first. I'd say not gaped correctly. The other item, an air filter, should not have any effect, only to let it run better.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
bencimino
Intermediate

Alright, I'm going to check the plugs & make sure everything is correct there. I'm going to add the Winter Boost fuel additive i picked up from harley which is supposed to break up any water in the gas and help it idle a little stronger when its cold. (I'm not in the mood to drain the gas tank honestly.) and if it still seems to idle weird I'll play with the carb.

Thanks for all the advice, post again when I've figured out exactly what it was.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
bencimino
Intermediate

Well, I added the winter boost, let her warm up for 5-10 mins or so, and take off, it was 27f when I left today for work. Purred like a kitten! I've found that when I'm putting her in 1st and starting out for the first time since she's been sitting all day or night, she doesn't sputter if I give her a little extra throttle and ride the clutch until I get out of the parking lot or where ever. So I guess problem solved...

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
notfairweather
Cruiser

No, actually it really sounds like you have some trash in the carb, the winter boost just helped your octane level a little. A dirty carb can and will cause the problems you are having, and as it was said earlier, check your plugs and plugs wires. A loss of spark can cause that issue as well. You may have some electrical "leakage".

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
bencimino
Intermediate

The main thing thats getting to me is that once the bike is warm there's no problems to speak of anymore she runs perfect. I haven't had it die on me randomly these past few days, why isn't the problem consistent even after its warm? I had also thought it might be a clogged fuel valve but wouldn't that also effect it even when it was warmed up. If the problem doesn't come back, should I still take it in and have the carb cleaned and fuel filter cleaned? I'm going to try to check the plug gap friday, I don't have a socket deep enough haha.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Water in the gas tank?