Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing a noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hearing a noise

I went out on a ride on sunday and started hearing a noise from the primary, was wondering if you guys could help me figure it out. I was getting reafy to leave when i heard this scratching or rubbing sound from the primary, i rode a little ways and heard it faintly as i was riding, i pulled over and it was deffinatly there. As i reved the bike the noise folled the rpms and was coming from the primary. I am now concerned after reading all the posts of bearing failure. What kind of noises were you guys hearing that have had bearings go beforethey actually went. Thanks for any input.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Default RE: Hearing a noise

I hear that noise nearly all the time, sometimes almost a grinding.
Mine starts when the clutch lever is released, and bike is outa gear.
From what I have read, it is more than likely the Primary bearing.
Don't freak out!! I have 11K on my 06 SuperGlide, and still going strong.
I figure HD will fix it when I finally take the bike back to them for the "Nuetral Safety Recall", probably around the 15K mark.
I have riden this bike hard for exactly 1 year, now.
Just call me stupid.

BTW, get the Syn3 out of you tranny, if you are using it. Make sure you use gear oil/not motor oil in your tranny.

You may want to address it sooner, your bike.
I am too busy riding mine.

DD

Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 AM
clayman
Road Master

I am just coming up to 8k and i took the syn3 out just after the the first sevice. Looks like i am going to have to talk to the dealer soon.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:52 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't help but notice the comments about syn3 in the tranny. I'm at 9000 and at my 7500 mile (I got the bike at 6500) I had the dealer put synthetic in the tranny, motor and drive. I noticed it shifts smoother, but I keep hearing mixed reviews of synthetic. What gives with the synthetic? Harley says it's OK, but not sure what real world use has given everyone.

DougsDyna - when you say gear oil, Harley just says "Harley Transmission Lubricant" but doesn't say what viscosity - only gives a part#. I'll have to check it out at the dealer next time I go. From your comments, I may switch back to the normal Harley oils.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

sargek,
You may want to do a search.........
Synthetics are fine, but switch to gear oil.
I am using Mobile1 75-90w.
A lot of folks are using dino oils successfully.
There is Mobile1, Amsoil, Redline, etc. for synthetics.
Some folks are using heavier than 75-90.
Syn3 is motor oil, and does not seem to hold up very well to tranny demands.

From what I have read, ATF or regular old 10w-40 motor oil is best in the primary.

Currently in my Dyna:

Engine- M1 20w-50 Vtwin
Trans: M1 70-90w
Primary: Valvoline 10w-40 motor oil

Read what everyone is saying, and decide for yourself. If you dig into this topic you will learn some very interesting lubricant facts.

More than likely your primary bearing is failing, and will be covered under warranty.

My bike goes in for the recall, strange hand/foot numbing vibrations (motor mount??), and primary noises on Monday.

I,ll post the results when I get my bicycle back.

DougJ

Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 PM
misfit
Advanced

I've got 7500 miles on my '06 SG and Mobil 1 has been great to me. The bike runs and shifts smoother with synthetic. I'm running Mobile 1 20w-50 V-twin in the engine and primary, and 75w-90 in the tranny. From what I undestand Syn 3 is not a true synthetic, but Mobile 1, Amsoil, and Redlilne are.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
ameristo
Cruiser

"The fact is that Harley-Davidson, like so many other "brands" of oil, contract with one or more oil companies to make their lubricants. Often, the decision as to who actually makes a private labeled product is based on low bid, and like almost everything manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to meet the low price."

The above quote was taken from my website. kajunoil As to oil I use Amsoil, spend a little time on the site above and you will see why. Even though Amsoils 20W50 motorcycle oil is formulated for use in all 3 holes, being an old geezer I can not make myself put motor oil in the tranny. Therefore, I use Amsoil SVG 75W90 Severe Gear synthetic gear oil. I use thier 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the engine and have recently went to 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil in the primary because I feel with a lighter oil in the clutch there will be less drag. The main reason I don't use motor oil is because motor oil does not friction modifiers blended in to be used in a wet clutch application.

Now, all that said. The engineers at Amsoil just look at me and smile and say if that is what you want to do it is certantly OK, and then they remind me that the viscosoty rating of an oil has nothing to do with how thick or thin it is. Unless of course you measure them at the temperature extremes.

What you can do is ask 10 people and you will get 10 different recommendations. I guess that's why they make so many different oils. I will agree that the only true synthecs are Mobile 1, Amsoil, and Redline. I believe Amsoil would rather put its money in R&D to make a better product instead of marketing. Amsoil has been proving its self on the track since 1973, No other oil can say that, not even Mobil.

Anyway thats my nickels worth........

[IMG]local://upfiles/6102/2C6244176100492F8E3F78C310633A64.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

You know, I ran into a guy a few weeks ago who ran Amsoil in his dresser. Might give it a shot. I am definately getting rid of the syn3 in the tranny after hearing all of the posts about it.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:32 AM
clayman
Road Master

Thats funny i thought this was a thread about THE NOISE i am hearing in my primary.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: clayman

Thats funny i thought this was a thread about THE NOISE i am hearing in my primary.
I was but...........................

[IMG]local://upfiles/8030/4A785AD592E74E6EA4A9CC551C48F5FB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Hearing a noise