Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor shocks for Lowering Dyna Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
joyryd68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricor shocks for Lowering Dyna Low

I've read alot about Ricor shocks, I have 11' progressive shocks on my bike now and it has made the ride extremely rough and corning at a higher speed I get like a stepping out feeling. I need the bike lower because of my height

Has anyone used these shocks to lower the seat height and has it made the ride really hard ???

thanks

JoyRyd

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joyryd68
I've read alot about Ricor shocks, I have 11' progressive shocks on my bike now and it has made the ride extremely rough and corning at a higher speed I get like a stepping out feeling. I need the bike lower because of my height

Has anyone used these shocks to lower the seat height and has it made the ride really hard ???

thanks

JoyRyd
Have you adjusted the pre load at all? Travel on an 11" shock is very limited so it is easy to bottom them out if you have the the pre-load to low and if you have the pre-load set to high then it will be too firm and also give you a rough ride. Are you using the STD or HD version? Need to determine if you are bottoming out or the pre load is set too high and if you have the right shock for your weight. STD should work for someone up to 180, possibly 200, and the HD for 200 up.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

thanks

JoyRyd
Before you try lowering your bike any more, consider other ways of getting over 'the problem'! There are proper motorcycle boots available with much thicker soles and taller heels than normal, for just this situation.

If you don't have a pair consider getting some. You only 'need' help when stopping or stationary. You need decent suspension all the time you are moving. Don't spoil the ride any more than absolutely essential!

If boots solve the problem, consider high quality custom shocks to improve your ride. Get custom Ohlins from HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 AM
joyryd68
6th Gear

I believe the shocks are actually the HD ones, I'm certainly not that heavy but when I ordered them from Harley, that's the ones they got me. I have them set to the lowest setting, I will try adjusting them to the middle and see if that help.

As for the footwear, I do wear proper riding boots and usually have a bit of a heel on them, right now the height is perfect and my boots are fine, it's just the stiffness of the ride I'm not happy with.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I believe the shocks are actually the HD ones, I'm certainly not that heavy but when I ordered them from Harley, that's the ones they got me. I have them set to the lowest setting, I will try adjusting them to the middle and see if that help.

As for the footwear, I do wear proper riding boots and usually have a bit of a heel on them, right now the height is perfect and my boots are fine, it's just the stiffness of the ride I'm not happy with.
One solution to consider is getting custom shocks built. HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal will build you a wonderful set of Ohlins matched to your weight and riding style. I have a pair on my Glide and they are the first shocks I have owned in over 30 years of Harley ownership that do not bottom out when my wife and I are riding together. If Howard can do it for us I reckon he can do it for you too! Give him a call.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I would agree, be careful on your suspension performance,you will eventually need that suspension to keep you upright in a dangerous situation. Give Howard a call and talk through your situation with him..

Originally Posted by grbrown
One solution to consider is getting custom shocks built. HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal will build you a wonderful set of Ohlins matched to your weight and riding style. I have a pair on my Glide and they are the first shocks I have owned in over 30 years of Harley ownership that do not bottom out when my wife and I are riding together. If Howard can do it for us I reckon he can do it for you too! Give him a call.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had those shocks for a couple of years and was never completely comfortable with them.I played with the preload allot and found the middle position to be the best.Also I found the bottom or softest setting caused some handling problems.With 11" shocks you only have about 3/4" of travel so I don't think going to a more expensive shock the same size will help you.If you're lowering because you're hieght challenged a custom seat and or boots with some extra lift in them should be your first two steps.Also remember you only have to be able to touch the ground with one foot at a time, otherwise your bike would need two kickstands.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just commenting on how you could make what you have a little better.

I would verify if the shocks are Heavy Duty and if they are and you are not 200lbs the dealer ordered the wrong shock for you and you need to take them back and get the STD or your money back. I think progressive will swap out the springs for you if you send them the shocks. If you have the HD version increasing the preload does not sound like it will help. With the 11" you are most likely going to bottom out no matter what, but you need to find out if it is bottoming out or too much spring rate so you base line the problem.

Granted there are better shocks and Ricor is one of them and at a competitive price. Ricor does make an 11" according to their website so call Ricor and ask for their opinion. There is a huge cost difference going from a 412 to a really good shock so you have to consider what is in your budget too.

Definitely should try to stay with a 12" and you could try using lowering blocks, but you have to make sure you won't bottom out on any hard parts.

+1 on the lower seat and you can also lower the front some to lower the ride height a little and putting a little more weight back on the front will also help, lowering the rear and not the front an equal amount will transfer more weight to the rear, the suspension is dynamic and works in tandum. You could lower the fork tubes in the triple trees about and 1" so that is a simple test to see if it helps.
CB

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
joyryd68
6th Gear

Thank you all for the advise, I will give Howard at Motorcycle Metal a call and see what he says.
As for the boots and seat, I've got that covered, boots are high and seat is carved out.
As for the front forks, I have lowered them as well 1" when I put the 11" shocks on. I will try and set the shocks in the middle but I do think that Harley ordered the wrong shocks as I'm not even close to 200lbs.
thank you all for the advise.