Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Power Commander III Review***

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ***Power Commander III Review***

well last night i installed my new power commander III with map m814-009
downloaded onto the bike and set my throttle control....(what a bitch bytheway, not much room under the seat)

First push of the button she fired up (has been a little harder to start before the tuner) and she sounded a little different. let her run for a few minutes to warm up idles is around 980-1040 or so...

put my brain bucket on and backed her out of the garage into the street and took off through the neighbor hood.....

To be honest i didnt really feel a "seat of the pants difference" which is whatever but maybe alittle better response on the throttle but not what i was hoping for...gonna go for a little spin today when i get home and then check my plugs.

Do you guys think it should have been a more noticable difference if i went from a stock setup to what i have now instead of riding everything i had before i added the pcIII?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm new to this and coming from a car tuning background...does the ECM Computer need to relearn things like fuel trims once you hook up a PCIII? Could that explain why you're not feeling much of a difference? Like I said, know nothing about how the Harley Computers work so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

robotech- good question! i'd like to know the same....

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm no expert, just going off my experience here...

i think you'd have seen more of a difference if you'd have thrown more components on at once.

i went from just exhaust, rode the tail end of a season ~1500 miles then threw on high flow a/c pc-v and dyno tuned the bike

response was MUCH better, exhaust tone was a lot deeper, and the bike had more *****, and it was really noticeable.

i think after you dyno, and do the other mods you're considering, you'll really see the difference.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

oh well at least she wont be running hot anymore...

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
I'm new to this and coming from a car tuning background...does the ECM Computer need to relearn things like fuel trims once you hook up a PCIII? Could that explain why you're not feeling much of a difference? Like I said, know nothing about how the Harley Computers work so I'm just asking out of curiosity.
I wouldn't have thought so. It certainly does when you reprogramme the ECU itself using, say, a SEPST but a PC plugs in after the ECU and before the injectors so the ECU thinks its still running the bike nice and lean but the PC has in reality added fuel.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
oh well at least she wont be running hot anymore...
oh no doubt there are gonna be improvements, but you won't see the extent of them until you finish modding and dyno tune the bike, i dont think

Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

only mods left are cams and a fastback seat after that im "done" (for awhile) gotta baby due in may....

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You may experience better drivability and cooler running but I doubt the PCIII or any other tuner by itself will give you any noticeable power increase. You won't feel it in your butt and you won't see much on a dyno either.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some experience with the PC III, I have ran them on a couple track bikes of mine. The preloaded maps I have honestly seen lose power because they run the maps so rich. This is to ensure the bike doesn't go lean and every bike runs differant so PC dumps a bunch of fuel to ensure no leaning out happens. It doesn't run so rich your bike will stall out or anything, but much can be adjusted better in the base map pre load. So the best bet is to get a custom map made (dyno tune). The tune you currently run is safe, but like I said it is pig rich and you should see a decrease in mpg as well. The PC III is a piggy back system so it over rides your stock computer and tells it what fuel table to run. So the computer has no learning curve to adjust to, it just runs what the piggy back is telling it to. It also can't adjust igition timing unless you get the add on for it that pc sells. So right now you can only tune the fuel tables on the tune.

Quick Reply: ***Power Commander III Review***