Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools?

So when i finaly buy my first DYNA Wide Glide what are the most important tools ill need to work and fix and customize the bike with?

Is there a certain tool i should have no matter what?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

#27 Torx
Flashlight!
10mm open end and box wrench

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Get a leather tool bag. Put in two crescent wrenches, multi head screwdriver, small racks of torx, allen and standard sockets, small flashlight, electrical tape, a cheap 10 dollar multi tool (like a leatherman knockoff), zip ties and two bungee cords. Thats what I have used on every Shovel I have ever owned and its always gotten me home. My newer bikes don't seem to strand me, but I still haul these tools out of habit.

edit: Oh crap, I misread. I thought you meant to haul on the bike in case you need to work on the side of the road. I see now you meant to do overall work.....my bad. Better head to sears and buy one of their complete tool sets. Break out the cash man and get something that has a huge variety. Never can have too many tools!

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-17-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Bikerlaw,

I see a lot of folks with their bags where you have yours. Does it not get lots of road grunge?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I looked at the tools in those tool kits you can buy and just pulled them out of my toolbox and put them in my tool holder under my battery box and just in front of the shock. Guess those are discontinued, but they have other tool bags, you just have to find somewhere to hang it.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser

I actually like his saddle bags. I myself dontt hink i will ever put saddle bags on my bike. im more of a back pack person. but then again if i am to carry around a small tool bag for unknown issues who knows maybe ill change my mind. but i doubt it lol

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Zac Strayer
I actually like his saddle bags. I myself dontt hink i will ever put saddle bags on my bike. im more of a back pack person. but then again if i am to carry around a small tool bag for unknown issues who knows maybe ill change my mind. but i doubt it lol
I really like the appearance and convenience of a tool bag on the front fork. Several riders that I have seen on this forum have their tool bags strapped to the fram just below the voltage regulator. I may put a second bag there to carry extra oil or some such.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser

Oh now i see your bag on the forks. i think i would do that instead of saddle bags. especially if i can find one to my taste. they got them in goth or vampiric style?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I keep my tool bag on my front down tubes right behind the front tire. Gets plenty of road grime. Thats why I just keep the cheapy tools in it.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-17-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default start w/ basic road kit

Originally Posted by Zac Strayer
So when i finaly buy my first DYNA Wide Glide what are the most important tools ill need to work and fix and customize the bike with?

Is there a certain tool i should have no matter what?
No matter what, you should buy the factory service & parts manual. And a lift.

Do a search--there are recent threads on bike tools.

You'll need a compact set to carry on the bike at all times; start w/ that. Then fill in w/ the rest that you'll keep in the shop.

Quick Reply: Tools?