Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs some help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
rainedon
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs some help.

Bought my first Harley.. a 2006 Steet Bob 7 months ago from a friend with a new wife who does not like bikes.. I have already put 11,000 mile on it.. point being I ride it a lot.

As my luck would have it, the 2006 dyna street bob has the well documented IPB failure problem. I have 18k total miles on the bike .. so far no problems but I'm beginning to feel like I'm riding a time bomb listening to these forums.

I really don't care about hassling HD to pay for replacement parts .. hard to justify when I don't have a failure yet. Searching this forum.. there seems to be a better combination of higher performance replacement parts anyway.

Went to the dealer and explained what I wanted.. got the deer in the head lights look.. "first time they heard of a IPB problem".. but for $500 the could fix it...

What I need is to know what parts i need to order.. part numbers would be nice.. but at least a good description of what to ask for. If you got good parts source that is savy.. I'd take that also.

Here is what I've learned from you guys of what should be replaced for the best reliabiltiy and performance;

SE Compensator

SE compensator requires an upgraded 07 stator

SE Clutch spring

Baker Primary Bearing

Primary chain automatic adjuster.. don't know what type.. I read about Regina which looks like oem.. but upgraded version is available or a hydralic type.

Sounds like dowled case upgrades has differing views.. since i don't have problem now maybe i don't need them unless someone says different.

any special tools? I like to work on bikes myself.

thanks..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Swede405
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of threads here on this. Use the search function for IPB Failure.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 18k miles, you would certainly be wise to inspect the IPB and the stator/rotor assembly. If you like working on your bikes (as you stated) buy the service manual and go over what it takes to get into the inner primary. The manual will list the tools needed that you might not already own. Regarding the Screaming Eagle parts; those are performance upgrades, but not necessary replacements. IOW, the newer stock stator/rotor kit with the one-piece rotor/comp assembly (OEM# 40356-06B) will work fine given a stock engine. Regarding the chain adjuster; the 2006 already has the upgraded “automatic” chain adjuster, so don’t know if you really need to upgrade that.
Originally Posted by rainedon
Sounds like dowled case upgrades has differing views.. since i don't have problem now maybe i don't need them unless someone says different...
With 18k miles and no problems, you're probably right.