Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with clutch cable install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
...not sure what your talking about with the snap ring I just unhooked the grommet and then hooked the new one up and hooked the grommet back onto it and it fine,...
The retaining ring is what he is mentioning, it holds in the inner ramp (grey disc that the clutch cable attached to) which appears to have already been removed in this photo:

Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt do it like that the gromett was the grey bit on the end thats what I was talking about and it comes off if you have enough slack in the cable you should have to take anything else off, did i get it wrong?

Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt do it like that the gromett was the grey bit on the end thats what I was talking about and it comes off if you have enough slack in the cable you should have to take anything else off, did i get it wrong?
I feel dumb! I went out and tried it your way and it came right off. That's what I get for trying to follow the manual! Maybe there's a reason it says to pull it completely apart, but I can't see why unless you needed to replace one of the others parts in there. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

I thought it sounded like you were going a bit further than necessary. Post some pics with the new cables, I bet they look nice.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nkauf21
I hear you on the not being rich part. I'm done for a while after this.
Most of what I have done thus far is cosmetic. I don't plan on major modifications as I like the looks of the '03 paint scheme.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Is that end piece simply held in by tension? That will make swapping out the cable far less complicated than I was anticipating.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM
FXD-raw
Novice
Default been there, done that

I've performed this operation twice ***IMPORTANT*** When you thread the new cable into the coverplate, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! It is not easy because of the angle. I stripped my first plate and got a new one.
Second, I used some large craftsman ring pliers (about $20) and worth every penny. That ring clamp you are talking about is a bitch, but the pliers make short work of it.
Also, I didn't drain the fluid, though it suggests you do. If the bike is leaning naturally, you'll lose a minimal amount (and I mean a few drops). If you feel you need to, you can pump some fluid in through the clutch cover. Make sure you lube the bearings and all pieces.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nkauf21
I feel dumb! I went out and tried it your way and it came right off. That's what I get for trying to follow the manual! Maybe there's a reason it says to pull it completely apart, but I can't see why unless you needed to replace one of the others parts in there. Thanks for the tip.
I followed the manual as well, at least we know and can pass on the info. Will save a lot of time / hassle not having to pop the retainer ring.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cornishman
I followed the manual as well, at least we know and can pass on the info. Will save a lot of time / hassle not having to pop the retainer ring.
I have the side cover bolted back on and everything seems to work. I'm taking a break for a few and then back to the garage. Still have to put the pipes back on, fill the transmission, adjust the clutch and finish running the wiring from the controls. I'll post a new thread with all the pics when it's completely finished. Hopefully a few days.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Most of what I have done thus far is cosmetic. I don't plan on major modifications as I like the looks of the '03 paint scheme.

That's a clean looking bike you have.

Quick Reply: Need help with clutch cable install