Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
748*2Risk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??

I have a FXDX with a top mounted headlight that has the brow that goes over the headlight. On my old FXR I used the Ness mounting block to push the headlight up and out a little to fit the narrow glide Ness 1/4 fairing. The new bike has a bucket w/ a top mount bolt and I can't use that old Ness mounting block, anyone find a way push the headlight out on a '03 FXDX narrow glide front end?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 830 Likes on 376 Posts

the newer ness fairings usually come with the correct block for the dyna/sporty headlight setup. you may be able to buy it seperately on ness' site.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 PM
748*2Risk
Advanced

I looked on the ness site and they only list the old bracket that I have.

Attached Thumbnails Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??-0000-arlen-ness-headlight-relocation-bracket.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior

thats the one you need. the curved part rides on the underside of the eyebrow, the front hole is where the headlight stud goes thru...now depending on how your fairing is drilled and at what height you are mounting the fairing you are gonna have some "issues" I'm working thru this now on a friends bike and it's a fvcking nightmare..you'd think Ness would at some point have made that fvcking fairing a little more user friendly and designed some sort of proper mounting setup. Post up some pics of your whole deal, parts, whatever brackets etc and lets work thru it.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
748*2Risk
Advanced

Thanks for the info Shiftace, this thing is nothing like the one I did years ago on the FXR. I tried that bracket on the bottom of the bucket and it lowered the headlight and never did feel like it would be stable enough for my poundings. I raised the bucket/brow with two 1" spacers (Osh Hardware) and trimmed the fairing until it fit. If I had more time to dick around with it, I think I could tack weld a little bracket that would let the headlight stick out another 2". I use the bike mon-fri for the work commute so I only have weekends to wrench on it between running around with my kids. Looking forward to not having the wind blast on my chest again though. I will take some pictures of it when I have a chance

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM
h8ter
Intermediate

Please post up those pics! I'm about to put one on a 2005 fxdx. I keep hearing horror stories about mounting them. The bad news is, I keep hearing these stories from dudes that are better wrenches than I am. You anywhere near Temecula/Murrieta?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior

There's a couple distinct methods I've seen, some dudes run it so the bottom of the fairing is ABOVE the lower tree and others are BELOW the lower tree. Depending on which way there's 2 completely different sets of pains in the *** to get it secure and or aesthetically pleasing. If you get one, usually the other is out of whack.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM
748*2Risk
Advanced

H8ter - I'm in Orange County. I think the above post is correct, there are a few ways to mount these on the modern Dyna. The bracket that ness sells will make the headlight stick out further but it lowers it an inch. I was not a big fan of the bracket and for $20 it's yours. Like I said, I got two 1" spacers for each side of the headlight brow where it mounts to the trees. This raised the headlight and then I trimmed the bottom/top of the fairing with a dremel until I liked the fit. A lot of this depends on the bars & risers you are running - mine has 6" strait risers w/ 2" rise Superbars. My fairing covers the speedo & tach and goes just above the bars. I'll take some pictures of it tonight.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
748*2Risk
Advanced

This is what I came up with.

Attached Thumbnails Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??-dsc00405.jpg   Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??-dsc00406.jpg  
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior

it's just those 2 mounts? whats to stop it from tilting back or forth? is it butting up against the trees or headlight?

Quick Reply: Ness Fairing & top mount headlight??