Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

avon or metzeler...discuss

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
avon are wider for the same size tire. To me metzelers look thin for their width. I have metzeler gonna do avon next.
yeah i noticed that, but i wana run matching treads, and it seems like the guys running avons are using different tires front and rear.

Originally Posted by spiritwarrior
Avon's in fact I have a new Avon VENOM AM41 110/90H19 Front

- Unique sequential pattern produces exceptionally quiet ride
- Advanced Casing technology for low rolling resistance, cooler running, and high mileage
- Special sidewall treatment features snake head logo and both narrow and wide white wall
- Multiarc tread contour for light, neutral turn in and cornering stability
It is still in the mailing wrapping. Bought it to have a spare in case, and sold my bike this spring. It is yours for $65 plus shipping. I paid $111 new plus shipping. PM if interested.
thanks man but i'm goin with a 3.5 inch front rim, wana mount a 120 up there, appreciate it though.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just Enough
What didn't you like about the Dunlop E3's, were these the radial version?
E3's are a harder compound than stock and did't feel as awe inspiring as many claim. The E3's always feel great (at first) because you are replacing worn tires that have degraded gradually with a new tire. They also have an annoying whine at about 50MPH on asphalt. These were not radials, BTW. They also didn't last as long as I expected. The Metzler's I have now feel better in dry conditions, run much quieter and have been ridden in some pretty heavy rain and performed better than expected.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Avon Cobra's 200/60/16VR 150/80/16VR it's like riding on rails.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
yeah i noticed that, but i wana run matching treads, and it seems like the guys running avons are using different tires front and rear.

thanks man but i'm goin with a 3.5 inch front rim, wana mount a 120 up there, appreciate it though.

3.5" and what diameter? What size rear? Most tires and specific styles do not come in all sizes. You really need to think all this out before you order up wheels.

You ask for input, but you don't tell us what you are going to run and all I can see are stock wheels on your bike so most of the advice so far does not help much. I really helps to be specific.

Is a 3 1/2" wheel with a 120 going to fit the mid glide with or without the fender or are you going with wide glide trees?

CB

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetbobster
3.5" and what diameter? What size rear? Most tires and specific styles do not come in all sizes. You really need to think all this out before you order up wheels.

You ask for input, but you don't tell us what you are going to run and all I can see are stock wheels on your bike so most of the advice so far does not help much. I really helps to be specific.

Is a 3 1/2" wheel with a 120 going to fit the mid glide with or without the fender or are you going with wide glide trees?

CB
21x3.5 front 18x5.5 rear

120 up front 180 in the rear.

keeping the mid glide front end.

front rim will fit, fender will need to be tweaked.

i was just looking for brand recommendations.

leaning heavily towards the metzeler me880s

Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

21x3.5 front 18x5.5 rear

120 up front 180 in the rear.

keeping the mid glide front end.

front rim will fit, fender will need to be tweaked.

i was just looking for brand recommendations.

leaning heavily towards the metzeler me880s
Problem is that one style of Avon or Metzeler does not have the same characteristics as another. If you can get the sizes you want in the ME880 then that particular style of tire will have the same characteristics unless you are mixing radial and Bias. I know Avon does not recommend radial in the front and Bias on the back, but do recommend a Bias on the front and a Radial on the back.

Venom AM41 (front) 120/70-21 (62H)
Night Dragon (Rear) 180/55 ZR 18 M/C (74W) TL
Possibly a good combo?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
AlFoley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My particular choice would be for the Metzler ME880, I had Dunlops on it originally and have since traded over to Metzler. Pay specific attention to the tire pressures, Metzlers typically want the higher air pressure for maximum durability. Usually get about 6500 miles on rear if you do a lot of two up riding, but about 8K if single. My front tire went 14K on the Dunlop, but it didn't perform well at all. Since have the Metzler's on both ends, it handles so much better.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlFoley
My particular choice would be for the Metzler ME880, I had Dunlops on it originally and have since traded over to Metzler. Pay specific attention to the tire pressures, Metzlers typically want the higher air pressure for maximum durability. Usually get about 6500 miles on rear if you do a lot of two up riding, but about 8K if single. My front tire went 14K on the Dunlop, but it didn't perform well at all. Since have the Metzler's on both ends, it handles so much better.
What pressure do you recommend for the ME880s? I ran 41.5 or so on mine and only got about 6000 out before the center tread was gone

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
What pressure do you recommend for the ME880s? I ran 41.5 or so on mine and only got about 6000 out before the center tread was gone
Cuz riding anywhere near Camp Lejune sux and has no corners to even the wear. I run around 40PSI normally and less if I want more grip.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem, I think I will run it over to an Indy here and see what he will give me for it. Taking up space and if I buy another bike it may or may not fit.

Quick Reply: avon or metzeler...discuss