Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness joints question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Harness joints question

I have two questions:

1. The HD wiring diagrams show the AMP, Molex etc connectors in schematic depiction that for the most part agrees with the physical view of the situation. However the "dots" that depict where two wires are joined into the same circuit are a bit more ambigious.
Has anyone ever seen a harness cut apart, I am curious as to how these "dot" connections are actually made. Are they soldered ?

2. I used to check for a short circuit on my car (many yrs ago) by disconnecting the red positive cable from the battery. And then probing the disconnected positive cable and the positive battery terminal with my volt meter. If I got a voltage reading then I had a short. Of course when radios started storing station memories electronically my method did not work anymore.
As I surmise the Security module on my Dyna must always draw some small current all the time since the same test shows 12 volts.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well today I peeled the mesh sheathing down some on the right handlebar switch wires trying to locate a problem wire and spotted two instances of "two wires going into one wire". I did not cut the shrinkwrap to see if it was soldered or crimped, but it had a neat thin tight fitting OEM shrink wrap.
It looked kinda like some sort of non insulated 3 way crimp (since it was so thin under the wrap) with 2 on one end and 1 on the other.
The wires involved were the O/W wire of the right turn signal and the O/W wire of the front brake switch (to rear brake light). But was interesting to actually physically see one of those "dot" wire to wire connections that you see in the schematic.

Last edited by R_W_B; 01-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.