Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will harley 49010-06 engine guard work with kuryakyn extended foreward controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
loosnut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will harley 49010-06 engine guard work with kuryakyn extended foreward controls

I was thinking about putting forwards on my 09 dyna fxd. From other threads sounds like the kuryakyn might be the best way to go (still not sure). Since I'm 6' I'm thinking the extended controls would work best. Will these forewards or others work with the harley engine guard 49010-06. This one mounts with the u-bolts. Any information is appreciated.
thanks,

Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have that engine guard with the jury standard forwards and it works fine.

I don't think the extended would clear though. If you look at the picture it would clear the mount but there is only 2 inchs before it would hit the bar.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM
loosnut
Cruiser

Thanks, the picture really helps. Probably should get the standards instead of the extended forwards.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member

I have a set of extended that I'm putting on this winter. I was hoping to keep the guard as well, but putting the controls up against the current forwards (HD) and eyeballing them, the extended will hit the bar. I'll validate that when I put them on, but it was pretty obvious I'd never get the forward contol bolts to line up with the frame if the guard was still there.

Looks like I'll have to choose between the standard forwards/engine guard or extended forwards/mustache bar. I have the Kury mustache bar on hand to check it out and if I keep it, I might send it to Joe to have it coated gloss black to match the frame. I don't know if it would look better contrasting or trying to blend in.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
loosnut
Cruiser

NeverEnoughToys,
Let me know what you determine on the extended forwards with the crashbar. I still haven't purchased the forwards yet but already have the crashbar, so it's just a matter of which ones (standard or extended) to buy. Are there any other options for any specific forewards that might be compatable?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member

Well, after snapping an impact bit getting the forwards off, I can definitively confirm that the extended controls will NOT fit with the engine guard. There's not enough variance to even get close with mods. The guard or controls would have to be modified significantly to fit.

The HD forwards that I had on fit just fine with plenty of space. Although extended controls could probably be designed to bend above the guard, it would have to be a deliberate design. I don't see any other options other than making a choice between the extended controls or an engine guard.

The standard forwards weren't uncomfortable for me, but at 6'3" and 34" inseam, I figured my legs could really use some extra space - even with the pegs on the engine guard, I couldn't straighten my leg completely without putting them on top of the pegs. If I really don't like the mustache bar, I'll go back to the standard controls with the engine guard and put on the HD 360 degree peg brackets I still have around.

Last edited by NeverEnoughToys; 01-02-2011 at 07:49 PM.