Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12/24/10 crashed my Raider, looking at the wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
fake
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 12/24/10 crashed my Raider, looking at the wide glide

Afternoon fellas,
This is my first post here, but I have been reading on this site for a few years now. Christmas Eve afternoon, I was out riding my Star Raider. I was on a back road with little to no traffic on it. I don't remember this, but the local police stated the other vehicle made a left hand turn right in front of me without any turn signals. I had less than 50 ft, so there was basically nothing I could have done. Even if I was in my car, I would have hit this other vehicle. Bottom line, I was knocked out and air lifted to UNMH where it took two doctors 2 hours to stitch my face up. I usually wear a helmet but was not on this day. (Murphy's Law)
My face took 99.9% of all the trauma. The rest of my body, aside from a swollen knee, is working 100%.
Don't know if my 2009 Yamaha Raider is totaled yet, but I'm not holding my breath. I have been riding since I was a kid and I'm 33 now. This is my first bike crash. I have really liked the look of the new Dyna WG. It's a tough looking bike and I liked the raked out front end like I have on my Raider. I know the engine between the two bikes are apples/oranges, but I don't care about that.
Please give me your opinions on the new WG. I will be searching this forum on some info about this bike.
Please, if you're going to talk crap about the Raider/Yamaha, save your posts. I don't want to hear that crap as I know for fact the Raider is a top notch bike. The fact that the WG & Raider cost the same $$ has nothing to do with my decission either. I just really like the looks of this bike. If I have anymore questions about the WG, I will post here.

Thanks a bunch and Happy New Years.

Last edited by fake; 12-29-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
daBreeze
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant talk to the new wide glide but glad you are ok dude and ready to hop back on that iron

Old 12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Energy-Dude
Tourer

I had a Raider before my first Harley, 2009 Fatbob. It was a great handling powerful bike. The Harley just keep calling though, aftermarket support etc.

More then likely your Raider is totalled because I bet the frame is cracked.

The first thing I noticed though was a stock 96 engine was not going to cut it on the Harley compared to the Raider's power.

You will love the Harley though, you just feel more connected to it because it talks to you.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went down on my Sportster back in September and just picked up a 2011 Wide Glide about three weeks ago. Have put just over 1100 miles on it so far and love it. Rides nicer, has good power (though needs more...) and I love the 6th gear on freeways. That said though when it comes to twisties the Sportster would leave it behind. Just a different type of ride. I can't compare it to what you have but I have no regrets getting the WG...I love the look, I like the ride, and just have to get use to the way it handles compared to my agile Sportster.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I freaking love my new Wide Glide.

Man, glad to hear your ready to climb back on and more important, your able. Be careful out there.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

They might have a suggested list price that is close but in no way are the real transaction prices close. New 09 Star Raider can be bought here in FL for advertised $9999. Only reason I ever looked at them was for the engine. Fit, finish and chassis wise there is no comparison to the HD - hence the much higher resale value that the Harley has. You won't find the chrome plastic pieces all over as the metric cruisers have become famous for. Try trading in a metric bike, not nearly as many buyers or bidders as a Harley will command. Here is the real meat thou. The metric cruisers got into a chest pounding who can build the largest engine cruiser. Ironic as the japs are small stature people and are usually conservative. Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, Honda VTX 1800, Suzuki C109 RT all came about at 850 plus pounds that were ridiculously large and hard to handle by the average American. They never sold well because of their heft and the Vulcan 2000 and VTX were discontinued. The local place has a new C109RT for $5000 off and I checked it out twice. Way too big for me at 5'11" 170 lbs. My FXDC is a toy. It sits low, the weight sits low, the bike is thin and very easy to handle. I feel part of the bike instead of being perched on top of it. It is much more enjoyable to ride. If I want a fast v-twin I would get a V-Rod and we all know how they sell compared to the FXD. Just walk into a Harley dealer, 50 bikes and 1 or 2 V-Rods if you are lucky.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
fake
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the 96ci on the WG the "A" or "B"; eg, rigid or rubber mounted?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Is the 96ci on the WG the "A" or "B"; eg, rigid or rubber mounted?
Rubber

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Energy-Dude
Tourer

Its the A rubber mounted motor is in the Dyna and Touring lines and the B rigid mount motor with counter balancers is in the Softail line. The touring bike has another motor mount on the front head.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the beautiful thing about dynas in general (cant speak for the WG... never ridden one) is that you can go in any direction with them. you can have a lean corner carver, a tourer, or depending upon where you get your parts, both. harley makes a removable version of most things they sell. i did a little looking around and from what i can tell if you want quick and removable you have to go aftermarket (correct me if im wrong of course). now my one suggestion if your buying new is that you get a stage one. runs much smoother. hope it helped

Quick Reply: 12/24/10 crashed my Raider, looking at the wide glide