Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this video

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Check out this video

ORIGINAL: cj_slowdown

"Bare with me here Boxjoint I am trying to get somewhere, question: do you like honda and acura ads ? "

Only the ones which talk about and emphisize the features of the car.

"Why don't you take a poll, riders who own harelys….."

I'll start by answering these questions myself:

What brand was the first m/c you own ?

Suzuki

When you brought your first HD, did it leak oil ?

No. Would not have gotten it if it did

Was price ever a factor in not buying an HD ?

Yes. Once the whole "harley tax" went away at the dealerships I started to consider them.

Have you mostly own HD's all your life ?

No

Have you ever brought another brand since you got your first HD ?

No (this is my first Harley) and I do LOVE the powertrain. I can certainly see getting a Buell in the future.

What is your age ?

" do you really believe that ads make a "lifestyle" ????? "

No but it is marketing towards a lifestyle.

"One lousy ad HD makes and all of a sudden their not putting enough out about their "powertrain and customization capabilities" ? I think this is very important to you, since it seems you state it in every reply ?"

I never saw a commercialized ad by the MOCO about the bike. Saw plenty about the lifestyle or attitude.

"The last ad I saw from the MC was the one about the guy on a HD riding down this open road near a coast, he is headed towards a bridge that is OPEN to let a boat pass, just as the rider is coming near the bridge, the bridge closes down to allow him over (I think busting up a sailboat) the ad ends with RESPECT, I like that as much as the latest, can't remember the year, even the model or all the "capabilities" that year had, but I remember that ad, as I will remember this one."

If I were to write an ad for Harley here is how it would go:

The all new Harley Davidson (insert model here) features a more potent 96 cubic inch motor, standard fuel injection and frame upgrades. For ease of ride we have decreased the clutch effort by 30% for you to enjoy longer days in the saddle. Twisty roads are being handled by an upgraded massive 49mm fork up front. All while maintaining their timless classic style.
For 2007 harley davidson has made nostalgica and performance go hand in hand.

During the commercial show a Harley wind through some mountain roads and whatnot and maybe end it with the bike pulling up to an old airstrip with classic airplanes in the background for the ending line.

"draw in the masses" ? maybe that is one reason why some don't get the lifestyle or at least don't understand their commercials ? think ? "

Can you explain why they built the V-Rod then? I belive it was "Because" they wanted to expand their customer base.

Boy- Did I open a can of worms in this thread!
Just to remind you guys, I am not dissing the motorcompany or the bikes (I have one) it is just my angle on marketing. I look at car ads the same way.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 AM
clayman
Road Master

I am wanting to get another buell, but i think i will go for an older tube style frame, like to see the engine plus the older ones were a bigger. Biggest problem i found was i sat to high on the ulysses i like to be in the bike more rather than up high. I was at a shop the other day looking at the new yamaha vtwin sport bike ithink its mt-106 or something like that, that bike has the pefrct riding position for me. Check that one out if you havnt allready.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

To each his own but, I know why I bought a Dyna Street Bob, it is because the bike has ATTITUDE, It says BAD A$$.

Frankly, I don't give a $hit what people think about me when they see me on my Harley, because what you see is what you get. I do it for me. Since I bought my Harley I have met some real down to earth people who to the average person would turn their heads because of the look but like they say.......looks can be deceiving.

If you don't expect or want people to think of you in that way then I would say you may need to reconsider your purchase if it bothers you that much. Because I would be willing to say that at least 75% of all the people that pass you on the road think of you in that manner.

I plan to live the life as long as I can get my leg over the seat and when I can't then it will be time to build a trike, and live on.

Proud to be part of this big family!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Matrix

To each his own but, I know why I bought a Dyna Street Bob, it is because the bike has ATTITUDE, It says BAD A$$.

Frankly, I don't give a $hit what people think about me when they see me on my Harley, because what you see is what you get. I do it for me. Since I bought my Harley I have met some real down to earth people who to the average person would turn their heads because of the look but like they say.......looks can be deceiving.

If you don't expect or want people to think of you in that way then I would say you may need to reconsider your purchase if it bothers you that much. Because I would be willing to say that at least 75% of all the people that pass you on the road think of you in that manner.

I plan to live the life as long as I can get my leg over the seat and when I can't then it will be time to build a trike, and live on.

Proud to be part of this big family!
Here is the thing- I don't give **** what people think of me. General public or Bikers. I did not buy the bike for " people to think of me a certain way"
I bought the bike to ride. End of story. I will use the evil word in saying that this bike was the most practicle for me.

I am not saying others should buy their bikes for the same reason as I do. If it is to "jone the club" or "exude attitude" and it makes you happy-
Cool.

But your post points out what I said from the get go. Not everybody buys bikes based on their attitude or persona. Why market just that aspect?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Matrix
Road Master

It really makes no difference to me what people ride or why they ride......as long as they ride. I pulled over today on my way home from work to see if a guy had problems with his crotch rocket. I do understand what you are saying about the ad. But with all due respect, I think it is cool. Ride Safe!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 AM
ronster
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way cool![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<”Boxjoint”>

"Bare with me here Boxjoint I am trying to get somewhere, question: do you like honda and acura ads ? "

<”Only the ones which talk about and emphisize the features of the car”>.

"Why don't you take a poll, riders who own harelys….."

<”I'll start by answering these questions myself:”>

What brand was the first m/c you own ?

<”Suzuki”>

Triumph Bonneville

When you brought your first HD, did it leak oil ?

<”No. Would not have gotten it if it did “>

No, but when the bike was park out on the curb of the dealer, a wrench just happen ask me, want me to cut the white wire (on the 3 position ign sw) so you can turn your headlight off ? Cut it !
Side note first 302 miles put in a qt of oil, I remember because I still have that qt w/the date and the mileage on it ! I guess the prep didn’t go so well back then ?

Was price ever a factor in not buying an HD ?

<”Yes. Once the whole "harley tax" went away at the dealerships I started to consider them.”>

You mean when the demand slow down, right ?

No price wasn’t a factor I got a job a few months before that double my pay, I put half down and 2 year loan, when I saw that bike, (my bike) ad in ER (when HD started to advertise in ER) it grab me by the throat ! and it was a shot of half side of the bike (black) picture with a leg swinging over it, engineer boot w/a chain (dog choker) around the ankle, that did it, SOLD ! never saw a more beautiful ride that HD ever made up till then.

Have you mostly own HD's all your life ?

<”No”>

Everyone, since the bonny and I still have that !

Have you ever brought another brand since you got your first HD ?

<”No (this is my first Harley) and I do LOVE the powertrain. I can certainly see getting a Buell in the future.”>

Never happen or will happen, keep your 30 + big-ones on customs, and when your putting out of state try to find a dealer if something happens.

What is your age ?

<”35”>

55, Boxjoint, I give you a message on one of my old t-shirts “If I have too explain it too you, you wouldn’t understand”

<”No but it is marketing towards a lifestyle. “>

What came first the chicken or the egg ??

"One lousy ad HD makes and all of a sudden their not putting enough out about their "powertrain and customization capabilities" ? I think this is very important to you, since it seems you state it in every reply ?"

<”I never saw a commercialized ad by the MOCO about the bike. Saw plenty about the lifestyle or attitude.”>

Think of it as how VW Beetle ads are pointed to their buyers : - )))

"The last ad I saw from the MC was the one about the guy on a HD riding down this open road near a coast, he is headed towards a bridge that is OPEN to let a boat pass, just as the rider is coming near the bridge, the bridge closes down to allow him over (I think busting up a sailboat) the ad ends with RESPECT, I like that as much as the latest, can't remember the year, even the model or all the "capabilities" that year had, but I remember that ad, as I will remember this one."

<”If I were to write an ad for Harley here is how it would go: “>

<”The all new Harley Davidson (insert model here) features a more potent 96 cubic inch motor, standard fuel injection and frame upgrades. For ease of ride we have decreased the clutch effort by 30% for you to enjoy longer days in the saddle. Twisty roads are being handled by an upgraded massive 49mm fork up front. All while maintaining their timless classic style.
For 2007 harley davidson has made nostalgica and performance go hand in hand. “>

…” For [b]ease of ride we have

Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Matrix
Road Master

I personally took a liking to the 2006 Dyna Street Bob ad. Now, although I pesonally think that the Street Bob has attitude, I really think that this bike was produced with the consumer in mind, based on its features, simplicity, styling, and not to mention the price tag.

First, street legal street, 06 Dyna Street Bob, Black Demin
Have ridden most of the other makes, models, and styles.
Age 36
Have loved and wanted a Harley since I was a teenager, couldn't have one as long as I was living with my parents, got married, should have gotten one before I got married but didn't. Wife didn't want me to have one, still doesn't, after we got married.
June 1, 2006, I was tired of wanting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13379/33371E2810A64CD384594EEEA4FF6095.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

I really enjoyed the movie, cool!!
I don't have tatoooooos, don't drink, don't smoke dope, don't ride in groups, wave to everybody on 2 wheels (peddling or not).
Don't go to church, don't vote, served my country, got screwed by my country, got screwed over by my ex, love my children, Love Jesus, and all things good.
Waited all my life to own a Harley, don't care if it's a piece o' **** or not. It is mine (well sorta). It is loud, and I hope that pisses a lot of people off, but is not why it is loud. It is LOUD so I can hear it.
I wear black, cause I like black, not because someone else does (it matches everything).
I like seeing the guys/girls on the crotch rockets, and their colourful attire. I wave at them, too.
What you do to your bike, and what you ride does not impress me, it should impress you (if it doesn't, you wasted your money).
I don't like spoked wheels (only for looks), and didn't like them on my bycycle as a child.
The only real motorcycle is BLACK, IMO, but I like all the pretty colours, too.
I don't like rallies, or crowds period.
I don't hang out with bikers, cause I am one (a loner). Other people suck, but I have to deal with them (I hope they feel the same as me).

That is my twisted opinion, today and can change at any time by my choosing.

Riding MY Harley brings me great joy, and I hope whatever somebody is riding puts a smile on their face.

Since we all have opinions, if you don't like this 1, go Fuke yourself. I will be riding by myself smiling.

Please excuse my post. I have not been right since I got off the Paxil, and quit drinking.

DD

Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: cj_slowdown

55, Boxjoint, I give you a message on one of my old t-shirts “If I have too explain it too you, you wouldn’t understand”

<”No but it is marketing towards a lifestyle. “>

What came first the chicken or the egg ??

<”I never saw a commercialized ad by the MOCO about the bike. Saw plenty about the lifestyle or attitude.”>

Think of it as how VW Beetle ads are pointed to their buyers : - )))

Not keen on those ads either. I am not picking on Harley. I need more substance before ploping 10-18 big ones on a bike (or20-30 on a car) than telling me "You'll look cool"

<”If I were to write an ad for Harley here is how it would go: “>

<”The all new Harley Davidson (insert model here) features a more potent 96 cubic inch motor, standard fuel injection and frame upgrades. For ease of ride we have decreased the clutch effort by 30% for you to enjoy longer days in the saddle. Twisty roads are being handled by an upgraded massive 49mm fork up front. All while maintaining their timless classic style.
For 2007 harley davidson has made nostalgica and performance go hand in hand. “>

…” For ease of ride we have decreased the clutch effort by 30% for you to enjoy longer days in the saddle…”

For all you ladies out there !!!

Ok, so don't be a sissy and replace your disk brakes with cable actuated drum units. Tear out that EFI and go with an old manual prime carb. Ohh and lets take that suspension off of there and replace it with those Billet "Not shocks" . Give me a break. When I go for a ride it usually consists of 300+ mile days. I'll take the reduced effort clutch even if it is considered for ladies.

<”During the commercial show a Harley wind through some mountain roads and whatnot and maybe end it with the bike pulling up to an old airstrip with classic airplanes in the background for the ending line.”>

classic airplanes ? why not some F-111’s or F-117 Nighthawk ??? show how advance the company has come ?

Because even with the advances the bike recons back to nostalgic days. Whay do you think FORD does not market the Mustang by having robots drive them in a futuristic time? It is a modern car but classicaly styled.

<”Can you explain why they built the V-Rod then? I belive it was "Because" they wanted to expand their customer base.”>

I want you to get all the money you can get, take out loans and put it all on this answer “EPA” you really think HD put out millions and I mean millions in R&D w/a German motor company for “wanted to expand their customer base” ??? please spare me.

You so sure about that? The Buell and Harley Power plants are CARB 2008 certified and were well before liquid in line 4 motors from the imports were. Even so, they could have esaily built a traditional styled Harley with waterjackets surrounded by short fins to "give it the look" . BTW there was a special on Discovery about the V-Rod when it came out and right from ***** G's mouth they did it to "Reach other segments of the market"

<”Just to remind you guys, I am not dissing the motorcompany or the bikes (I have one) it is
just my angle on marketing. I look at car ads the same way. “>

Lifestyle is the marketing, it’s a Harvey Davison not a car, I leave you with this with added “emphasis” !

“If I have too explain it too you, you wouldn’t understand”

getting tired of hearing that. Even as a Harley owner.

Boxjoint, you will someday get out o

Quick Reply: Check out this video