Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri-bar tail light install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Tower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri-bar tail light install

Among a few other black and orange goodies, there was a Tri-Bar tail light under the tree this year. I've done some searching around here and noticed the early posts about this install say it's a simple plug and play with no mention of removing the fender, but the instructions show removing the fender.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined so removing the fender doesn't worry me too much, other than never having worked on any motorcycle before.

Whats the best way to do it, removing the fender or not?

It's a common mod around here but I'm looking forward to seeing my bike with the new light. Will be on the lookout for a sidemount plate bracket as well. Have heard some mount to the shock mount and some to the axle bolt. Either work better than the other?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 AM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

tri-bar tail light? actually, unless im mistaken, all you have to do is pull of the stock tail light and plug in the new on. but then again im not 100% sure of which light to you are referring to (HD or aftermarket)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tower
Among a few other black and orange goodies, there was a Tri-Bar tail light under the tree this year. I've done some searching around here and noticed the early posts about this install say it's a simple plug and play with no mention of removing the fender, but the instructions show removing the fender.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined so removing the fender doesn't worry me too much, other than never having worked on any motorcycle before.

Whats the best way to do it, removing the fender or not?

It's a common mod around here but I'm looking forward to seeing my bike with the new light. Will be on the lookout for a sidemount plate bracket as well. Have heard some mount to the shock mount and some to the axle bolt. Either work better than the other?

There is a little more to it than pulling the old light off and putting the tribar on. You have to change the bracket that holds the old light in place and put the tribar bracket on. You do not have to remove the fender, just loosen the nuts a bit so you can get a wrench down there to get a wrench in there. Easy install, my tribar was the hardest to get on as it was not properly manufactured but the dealer made good and corrected the issue. I did have to remove the seat to pull the wire through a little but very easy to do. First thing I did on my bike and I am not handy with tools and have never worked on a bike in my life.

I love the look, cleans up the rear really nice

Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1st buy the factory service and parts manuals.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Simmy150
Advanced

Thinking of one myself. I should probably purchase the maintenance manual for my Fat Bob too....

Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Tower
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com
but then again im not 100% sure of which light to you are referring to (HD or aftermarket)
Sorry I wasn't more clear, yes it's the HD tail light.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should get a service manual but it really isn't needed for this install! I don't have a service manual yet, but I will get one soon.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Tower
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lo-rider
1st buy the factory service and parts manuals.

Other than a good idea to have in general, are these needed for install of the new tail light?

Edit to add: Other than local dealer, do any of the site sponsors sell these? Probably worth the $ to me since I've never worked on bikes before.

Last edited by Tower; 12-27-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Junior in NE
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 209 Posts

+1 on the manual, good investment, picked one up on ebay for 40 bucks.

Quick Reply: Tri-bar tail light install