Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

night dragon tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default night dragon tires?

First off, i know there are other threads i can search to find out about these tires but i am asking anyway.

Mostly who has these and how do you like them, what type of milage did you get?
I have metzler 880 and like them but am curios about the pirelli night dragons. The metzlers feel and handle great,but to me the compound is pretty hard and i can break them loose shifting gears pretty easily. The wear on the metzlers are great and overall i and very happy with them, but part of me wishes they were a little softer.

If the tread life on the night dragons is comprable to the metzlers i would give them a try, but if it is significantly less i will stick with what i got.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the ND 180 on the back, I only have about 6k on it so far and I like it.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

So... softer tire = less tread life.

Perhaps slipstrm can measure his remaining tread, and based on what the tire started with.... you'll know what 6K does to it. Although if you ride as you advertise (breaking loose at shifts)... then I wouldn't worry to much about tread life, 'cause you're not going to get any riding like that.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
leepetersusn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a set on for a couple of months now and can't comment on mileage yet, but they definitely stick well. I used to feel like I was breaking loose when I was leaning over in the corners, not with the Pirelli's on. These are great tires in my opinion.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
First off, i know there are other threads i can search to find out about these tires but i am asking anyway.

Mostly who has these and how do you like them, what type of milage did you get?
I have metzler 880 and like them but am curios about the pirelli night dragons. The metzlers feel and handle great,but to me the compound is pretty hard and i can break them loose shifting gears pretty easily. The wear on the metzlers are great and overall i and very happy with them, but part of me wishes they were a little softer.

If the tread life on the night dragons is comprable to the metzlers i would give them a try, but if it is significantly less i will stick with what i got.
How many miles are you getting out of your Metzelers? I got 6200 miles out of my Rear ND, but it stuck like glue! If someone has 6K and it still has tread then they are doing good. I know one thing though, I could hammer it out of the corners and not even feel a slight bit of slippage. It also handled well over painted stripes and more impressive was how it handled over slight wet pavement and even slight loose dirt you might find in the corners up in the hills. I went with an Avon Storm II and I am not as confident with it as I was with the ND. Screw mileage I want a tire that sticks and it is becoming obvious to me you can't have your cake and eat it too! I will be going back to the ND as soon as I burn off this Avon. I am sold on the Pirelli ND Front and Rear!
CB

Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Avon Cobra's feel very well planted, I don't know how long they'll last yet but when I need new ones I'm getting the same.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

my front metzler has 14,500
back metzler has 9,400
thread still looks good on both of them I keep 38-40 in back and 34-36 in front
the dunlops i was geting around 12,000 on rear and around16,000 on front
handing and feel is much better with the metzlers compared to the stock dunlops

archergodwin: i dont go around burning my tire all day but the metzlers are easy to break loose both in a straight line and coming out of a turn. So basically i was wondering if a went with night dragons would they stick better. I will sacrifice some milelage for more grip, but i cant afford to cut my milelage in half.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
my front metzler has 14,500
back metzler has 9,400
thread still looks good on both of them I keep 38-40 in back and 34-36 in front
the dunlops i was geting around 12,000 on rear and around16,000 on front
handing and feel is much better with the metzlers compared to the stock dunlops

archergodwin: i dont go around burning my tire all day but the metzlers are easy to break loose both in a straight line and coming out of a turn. So basically i was wondering if a went with night dragons would they stick better. I will sacrifice some milelage for more grip, but i cant afford to cut my milelage in half.
What year and model bike do you even have? Is you engine modified? My bike is stock so when I say I don't break the rear loose with the ND that does not mean someone with cams and/or big bore kit won't.
CB

Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

the bike is stock except for a 30t pully upgrade. it is an 06 superglide