Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ness big sucker or screaming eagle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010 | 07:06 PM
clowe
|
Intermediate

Sorry to open that can of worms but I was looking for a little of advice. I did install a Ness big sucker kit this afternoon ( I was suprised that my HD dealer had one in stock) with the Jack Daniels logo cover. It turned out great. Thanks for all the input.

Old 12-27-2010 | 07:44 PM
skinless
Road Captain

Hey man i just put a 90 degree on my FXDX and not real sure on the performance gains I like the look. If I get some gains that be good but what ever.
Why wouldn't a 90 degree show some performance gain. My understanding the 90 degree would cause more forced air in to the intake. On a dyno there is no forced air going into the intake, the bike just stays there stationary. I would like to see some dyno data showing forced air going into the intakes for different intakes.

Attached Thumbnails ness big sucker or screaming eagle??-intake.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010 | 07:52 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by archergodwin
lol.... okay... okay... both kinds of offer performance increases... just depends on what rpm range you want them in....
what? SKEEEEEERRRRRRRR.... which a/c gives power to which rpm range? talk to me, goose!

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:05 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

AZFXDB.... your avatar is KILLIN me! where do you find an avatar like that?

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:37 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
I WILL believe what I want to. Ive built an engine or two, and Ill reference the pic of the engine that was posted. Why do you think the throttle body is elevated and the runners go to individual cylinders. the elevation and individual runners give a denser faster charge of air and fuel to the cylinders. if what you say was the case, then the runners would be elevated above the throttle body. why do you think high rise intakes are so popular for muscle cars? put what you want to on your bike man, but that performance increase you "feel" is because you want to feel it. 90* intakes really dont do **** for you. I would need to see dyno charts where the ONLY variable is the 90* intake to prove to me otherwise.
Damn.. your just hung up on this aren't you AZ... I mentioned tuned runners and that's all you can think now... may have been my error in phraseology... however the entire intake system comes in to play.... runners, fuel mixer, velocity stacks... which I believe is what the 90deg type intake acts like.. plus a little ram air effect thrown in.

As I said... the bike now pulls fairly well @60 mph, in 6th gear.. better than it did before... has nothing to do with the whole "butt dyno" thing or wishful thinking... it is just plainly an affect that happened.

As I also said... you won't find a dyno sheet that will give you any difference between the two, because I've yet to see a dyno shop that simulates the straight, clean airflow at highway speed velocity that the 90deg system would encounter... therefore it's not an apples to apples compare.

So let's use the picture that we've both referenced, and politely provided by 08fxdf43202. Nice plenum on top.... the Harley does not have that. Nice long runners underneath.... Harley's don't have that either. Back in the day when hot rodders wanted to increase the density and/or velocity... they added velocity stacks to the carb... or in the fuel injection throttle bodies. For example a Hilborn fuel injection system... if you've done 'an engine or two' you should know what I'm talking about. That is a very close approximation to what I believe the Harley intake system is, and I believe benefits from a velocity stack type of air intake, more than a mushroom head bolted to the throttle body.

Velocity stacks benefit the low end torque spectrum, (just as increased runner length) more than the upper end rpms. The 'mushroom' intake I believe assist the upper end. (odd_child: that is my thinking about the two different intakes benefiting the different rpm ranges).

Oh.. and AZ... don't tell me what I "feel" is because I want to feel it. I don't have a butt dyno implanted so therefore I don't talk out my ***. I never reference to the result as a "performance" increase. I simply stated that the bike apparently has more torque at that spot now (60mph/6thgr), because it is no problem to ride there now.

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:40 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by clowe
Sorry to open that can of worms but I was looking for a little of advice. I did install a Ness big sucker kit this afternoon ( I was suprised that my HD dealer had one in stock) with the Jack Daniels logo cover. It turned out great. Thanks for all the input.
It's no problem clowe... I apologize for all of this 'discussion' semi-hijacking your thread.

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:53 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

It's no problem clowe... I apologize for all of this 'discussion' semi-hijacking your thread.

I wouldn't say sorry, I learned a few things. Thanks for explaining it.

I am not sold but again, not crazy about the look either.

Old 12-27-2010 | 11:08 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vinsil
I wouldn't say sorry, I learned a few things. Thanks for explaining it.

I am not sold but again, not crazy about the look either.
Why we have so many choices eh? ... I'm just pursuing something I think will work well on my bike... and I have some theories behind why I think that way.

I may have not started out explaining exactly why... and AZ kinda jumped me, and I can see why.... I didn't explain in depth why I was thinking like I do... now I have.

Old 12-27-2010 | 11:30 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

No worries, I do the same at times.

Old 12-27-2010 | 11:36 PM
AZFXDB
Banned

Damn.. your just hung up on this aren't you AZ... I mentioned tuned runners and that's all you can think now... may have been my error in phraseology... however the entire intake system comes in to play.... runners, fuel mixer, velocity stacks... which I believe is what the 90deg type intake acts like.. plus a little ram air effect thrown in.

As I said... the bike now pulls fairly well @60 mph, in 6th gear.. better than it did before... has nothing to do with the whole "butt dyno" thing or wishful thinking... it is just plainly an affect that happened.

As I also said... you won't find a dyno sheet that will give you any difference between the two, because I've yet to see a dyno shop that simulates the straight, clean airflow at highway speed velocity that the 90deg system would encounter... therefore it's not an apples to apples compare.

So let's use the picture that we've both referenced, and politely provided by 08fxdf43202. Nice plenum on top.... the Harley does not have that. Nice long runners underneath.... Harley's don't have that either. Back in the day when hot rodders wanted to increase the density and/or velocity... they added velocity stacks to the carb... or in the fuel injection throttle bodies. For example a Hilborn fuel injection system... if you've done 'an engine or two' you should know what I'm talking about. That is a very close approximation to what I believe the Harley intake system is, and I believe benefits from a velocity stack type of air intake, more than a mushroom head bolted to the throttle body.

Velocity stacks benefit the low end torque spectrum, (just as increased runner length) more than the upper end rpms. The 'mushroom' intake I believe assist the upper end. (odd_child: that is my thinking about the two different intakes benefiting the different rpm ranges).

Oh.. and AZ... don't tell me what I "feel" is because I want to feel it. I don't have a butt dyno implanted so therefore I don't talk out my ***. I never reference to the result as a "performance" increase. I simply stated that the bike apparently has more torque at that spot now (60mph/6thgr), because it is no problem to ride there now.

not hung up on this dude, im just putting straight some slack *** info you passed to a guy wanting to know. dont get butthurt about it

Quick Reply: ness big sucker or screaming eagle??