Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ness big sucker or screaming eagle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010 | 06:57 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com
hmm... i was always told the 90 degree intake does nothing for performance... only looks.
Somebody been telling you wrong. Do some searching on 'tunnel-ram' and 'longer intake runner'... ... and not just on this forum....

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I had an arlen ness big sucker intake on mine for a while, then came accross a 90* intake with a K&N filter on it for $20... and made an adapter bracket for it. The 90* intake has a noticable increase in preformance.
Below is a pic of the intake I built. I'll be powder-coating it to match the tins soon.

Attached Thumbnails ness big sucker or screaming eagle??-dsc01418_sm.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010 | 07:37 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

[QUOTE=archergodwin;7702579]Somebody been telling you wrong. Do some searching on 'tunnel-ram' and 'longer intake runner'... ... and not just on this forum....

oh snap! ive been LIED to to save money! lol

Old 12-26-2010 | 09:11 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com
oh snap! ive been LIED to to save money! lol
lol.... okay... okay... both kinds of offer performance increases... just depends on what rpm range you want them in....

Old 12-26-2010 | 10:57 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior

any article involving "tunnel ram" or "longer intake runner" refers to the length of either AFTER the fuel mixing device (carb, throttle body etc.) The length, shape, design, color of the intake BEFORE the mixing device only serves to either straighten or disrupt the airflow entering the device. Too small of an air cleaner is a problem, no air cleaner is a problem, anything other than that is not a problem and is purely for the most part cosmetic. Example if you put a 3ft piece of tubing in front of your carb it would do nothing except look retarded.

The following users liked this post:
Cajunred (09-29-2019)
Old 12-26-2010 | 11:31 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by shiftace
any article involving "tunnel ram" or "longer intake runner" refers to the length of either AFTER the fuel mixing device (carb, throttle body etc.) The length, shape, design, color of the intake BEFORE the mixing device only serves to either straighten or disrupt the airflow entering the device. Too small of an air cleaner is a problem, no air cleaner is a problem, anything other than that is not a problem and is purely for the most part cosmetic. Example if you put a 3ft piece of tubing in front of your carb it would do nothing except look retarded.

Agreed, have not seen any real world facts that the heavy breather style A/C gives any improvement. More than willing to be proven wrong though!

Old 12-27-2010 | 01:29 AM
AZFXDB
Banned

LOOK!!! its someone that actually KNOWS a thing or two about engines. Preach on brother!!
that 90 degree runner is just for looks.

Old 12-27-2010 | 02:54 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
LOOK!!! its someone that actually KNOWS a thing or two about engines. Preach on brother!!
that 90 degree runner is just for looks.
While I will give that the longer intake runner is primarily looked at as from the back of the intake valve, to whatever air control device you may have (butterfly or sliding, valve) your intake schema can have an affect on your performance. ie- tunnel-ram effect, velocity stack effect... etc.

LOOK!!!... my low end torque increased...every so slightly... but it increased.

:edit last comment out, but will add another:

You won't find much if any difference in dyno tunes between the two methodologies.
It's pretty hard to duplicate the high-speed, clean-air flow that you achieve riding down the road, that a system like the Force-winder or Heavy Breather type intakes take advantage of, in a dyno environment... and I know of nobody that even tries it on a dyno.

So, you may think whatever you want to. I'll go with decades of proven performance methods.

Last edited by archergodwin; 12-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2010 | 04:16 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior

any article involving "tunnel ram" or "longer intake runner" refers to the length of either AFTER the fuel mixing device (carb, throttle body etc.) The length, shape, design, color of the intake BEFORE the mixing device only serves to either straighten or disrupt the airflow entering the device. Too small of an air cleaner is a problem...
Originally Posted by archergodwin
While I will give that the longer intake runner is primarily looked at as from the back of the intake valve, to whatever air control device you may have (butterfly or sliding, valve) your intake schema can have an affect on your performance.

LOOK!!!... my low end torque increased...every so slightly... but it increased...

I don't know what 'intake schema' is, but if I was going to describe mine I'd say the longer, 90* tube forces the entire cross section of inlet air into the throut of the throttle body... and I get increased force with increased speed.

I use a Digital Fuel Optimiser to increase fule input... maybe that full cross section of inlet air being forced down the throut of the throttle body is contributing to a more complete mixture of fuel/air.

I don't know how it works, but I do know that my 90* intake has indeed improved the permormance of my motor. If I'm ever presented the opption of either the 'big sucker' style A/C or the 90* style... I'll always pick the latter.

Just for referance here's a pic of what 'shiftace' is talking about... this deffinately adds tourque at low RPM's (the robber intake is attached to the throttle body).

Old 12-27-2010 | 04:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I don't know what 'intake schema' is, ....
A way of saying "your total intake system"... the scheme of your setup.

Tuned induction is a way of managing the intake pulses, of which said pulses travel out to the very end of whatever intake system you have before they start back down... not just from the "fuel mixer"... larger plenums were designed to 'house' or 'store' that intake impulse wave...to keep it from exiting the system just as your picture shows 08fxd, the plenum on top of the runners. However Harleys have no plenum and it is a straight short shot from throttle body to intake valve.... it appears most people have absolutely forgotten about tuned induction and (to some extent) tuned exhaust, as it relates to managing exhaust and intake pulses and how to make them work for the engine.

Old 12-27-2010 | 05:18 PM
AZFXDB
Banned

Originally Posted by archergodwin
While I will give that the longer intake runner is primarily looked at as from the back of the intake valve, to whatever air control device you may have (butterfly or sliding, valve) your intake schema can have an affect on your performance. ie- tunnel-ram effect, velocity stack effect... etc.

LOOK!!!... my low end torque increased...every so slightly... but it increased.

:edit last comment out, but will add another:

You won't find much if any difference in dyno tunes between the two methodologies.
It's pretty hard to duplicate the high-speed, clean-air flow that you achieve riding down the road, that a system like the Force-winder or Heavy Breather type intakes take advantage of, in a dyno environment... and I know of nobody that even tries it on a dyno.

So, you may think whatever you want to. I'll go with decades of proven performance methods.
I WILL believe what I want to. Ive built an engine or two, and Ill reference the pic of the engine that was posted. Why do you think the throttle body is elevated and the runners go to individual cylinders. the elevation and individual runners give a denser faster charge of air and fuel to the cylinders. if what you say was the case, then the runners would be elevated above the throttle body. why do you think high rise intakes are so popular for muscle cars? put what you want to on your bike man, but that performance increase you "feel" is because you want to feel it. 90* intakes really dont do **** for you. I would need to see dyno charts where the ONLY variable is the 90* intake to prove to me otherwise.

Quick Reply: ness big sucker or screaming eagle??