Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam 96 Right Side Crank Bearing Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
BombSlinger
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bearing walked out

I have a 92 fxr and mine did walk out and it just has a little over stock cam the bearing walked out and made it past the oil pump drive gears and tore up some other stuff im just wondering if i can replace the tore up stuff in the cam chest with out a complete over haul of the engine and im trying to figure out how and why the bearing came out in the first place and what keeps it in theres no groove for a snap ring of any sort just seems like a failed design

Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

Please don't scare me.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
BombSlinger
3rd Gear

aint trying to but it happen a week ago right when i was planning on taking a trip makes me feel sick

Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Inmyblood
Novice

If you are getting a lot of vibration when you roll on the throttle and can't run the RPM over 4000 in any gear without feeling like the engine is about to jump off the frame, than it is most likely that you have spun the crank which is commonly known as crank run out. this is happening because H-D is now pressing the flywheels to the crank and are no longer welding them it is more common than you think. If your bike is still under warranty I would insist that you have them check the run out on the left side. they will try to do everything else to fix the problem even replacing the rubber mounts. going into the engine is the last thing they want to do and they will try and tell you that the vibration is normal. Now, don't get me wrong all dyna's have some vibration just the nature of the beast, but if you have been riding them as long as I have and a lot of others you can tell. Look in your shop manual under trouble shooting vibration and you will see every thing they will do before they will go into the engine. They even state that the novice rider most likely not fell the problem and it is a problem.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
ReapersWG
Cruiser

I have heard this many many times. If you do any real performance work you have to get the crank welded and trued. Well just like alot of things you get 10 or 15 bad ones out of say 1000 builds and bam theres a big problem. Personally I talked to several indies that I trust and my bud who is my local dealers top mechanic and the conseus was do it if you want to spend the money. I have a SE Stage 4 kit with additional headwork and a TMan 625 cam and I don't baby my bike at all. I have been known to do rolling burnouts in 1st 2nd and into 3rd gears quite often and knock on wood no problems. I have a great dealer who will warranty my performance work for the time period of my extended warranty also. I'm also pushing over 110 HP and TQ. If something happens that will be when I go with a trued and welded upgraded crank cause at that point I'll be going to a 117. Hopefully this helps some.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Inmyblood

most likely that you have spun the crank which is

commonly known as crank run out.

I suspect you may be confusing run out with what is *commonly known* as scissoring.........

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
diesel2453
Stage III

I had darkhorse go through the bottom end and one of the mods was to machine a groove in the right case and install a snap ring to retain the bearing from walking out

Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

As far as the SE compensator unit is concerned, I was intending on getting rid of my stock unit ('12 FXDC) and my indy builder said that the MoCo went to the SE comps in '11 on all Dynas and that mine was already an SE.

As for trueing and welding I spoke with the Fuel Moto guys and they said unless I was going to go with something like say their Hellraiser kit 127/127.. and was going to keep the numbers somewhere in the 107-110-ish hp & 112-117-ish range tq range I wouldnt need all of the lower end reenforcement..

different schools of thought on this subject.. read alot about it myself.. but I dont flog my scoot quite like reaper does.. however, as he states he's had no issues up to this point.. but like he ALSO pointed out.. 10-15 bad cranks or crank run-out experiences out of say 1000.. is enough to make your blood run cold..

looking forward to hearing more on this

Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Inmyblood
If you are getting a lot of vibration when you roll on the throttle and can't run the RPM over 4000 in any gear without feeling like the engine is about to jump off the frame, than it is most likely that you have spun the crank which is commonly known as crank run out. this is happening because H-D is now pressing the flywheels to the crank and are no longer welding them it is more common than you think. If your bike is still under warranty I would insist that you have them check the run out on the left side. they will try to do everything else to fix the problem even replacing the rubber mounts. going into the engine is the last thing they want to do and they will try and tell you that the vibration is normal. Now, don't get me wrong all dyna's have some vibration just the nature of the beast, but if you have been riding them as long as I have and a lot of others you can tell. Look in your shop manual under trouble shooting vibration and you will see every thing they will do before they will go into the engine. They even state that the novice rider most likely not fell the problem and it is a problem.

Wasn't aware that they ever welded them, press, true and bolt is how they work.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When I build a engine for power and it is going to be over 100/100 I weld the crank and have it trued with tim... bearings. all my serious builds are 2000-2005 bikes.
Simple builds for newer bikes. Cams, head work etc...
It is a lot of expense to do a build now days, regardless of a warranty or not. Even with a warranty you have down time. For a serious fix HD will get involved before approving it.
Least wise that is how they have done me.
a Once of prevention is worth a lot more than a pound of fixing.
just a thought.

Quick Reply: Twin Cam 96 Right Side Crank Bearing Fix