Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*VERY* stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
mehurr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *VERY* stupid question

I was backing up my dyna this afternoon and noticed it had a lot more drag/resistanc then Normal. I was pulling in the clutch but it was still hard to move the bike. When I put it neutral it was smooth. My question is....... Shouldn't there be the same resistance when the clutch is pulled in vs having the bike in nuetral? I just wanna make sure there's nothing wrong with my clutch or tranny.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine does that too. Wonder if it's just the cooler temperature, or needing to adjust the clutch?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
sigmoid
Cruiser

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. What you are describing is normal, nothing wrong with your clutch. For added excitement, try starting the bike with it in gear (clutch in of course) when it's cold. Keep a hand on the brake though.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Your clutch might need a little adjustment, but these are wet clutches remember.... it's not a complete disengage like a dry clutch.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch plates no big deal

Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sigmoid
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. What you are describing is normal, nothing wrong with your clutch. For added excitement, try starting the bike with it in gear (clutch in of course) when it's cold. Keep a hand on the brake though.
Now anyone that has ever had to deal with the military, public, or government knows there really is such a thing as a stupid question. At least this questions makes you think.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
mehurr
Advanced

Well the clutch is used to release the engine drag, right? So with the bike In gear and the clutch pressed in, it still leaves the resistance from the gearing in the tranny. When it's in neutral there is zero drag. Does this sound right?....

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
PaDutch
Advanced

Originally Posted by mehurr
Well the clutch is used to release the engine drag, right? So with the bike In gear and the clutch pressed in, it still leaves the resistance from the gearing in the tranny. When it's in neutral there is zero drag. Does this sound right?....
The clutch plate pack is in an oil bath in the primary case. When the oil is cold, it adds drag between the driving and driven plates. When trans is in neutral, drag from clutch pack is eliminated.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

When the fluid in the primary is cold it will drag on the clutch plates. When the bike is warmed up it will roll fine in gear. NOT to worry as this is normal and NOT a dumb question. Paying attention to things like this shows that you are concerned that all is well with your scoot, Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
johnmd
Intermediate

Both my bikes do the exact same thing, always have. If you think about it tho, the primary fluid is only supposed to come up to the bottom of the clutch. Why does it cause drag then? The plates aren't in the fluid.

Quick Reply: *VERY* stupid question