Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handlebar change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
ahorsewithnoname
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handlebar change

Bought a Flanders 8" handlebar thinking to lower the stock 10 inch.
Dilemma for me is that the Flanders is chromed steel and the Stock Harley is stainless steel.
My 2010 Bob is the smoothest Dyna I've ever owned. The way I'm thinking is that Harley did a lot of work on tuning the motor balance, getting a smooth combustion burn with the head chamber design and valve timing that what little vibration is felt in the handlers might be damped by the bar design, ie stainless steel and thickness, bend, width shape. I'd hate to upset the bar vibration damping with the Flanders bar with different characteristics.
Anyone out there ever notice any difference in vibration on the grips after changing bars?
By they way, RICOR advertises a new grip design with active vibration control.

Greatgrandpop

Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

After 3 sets of completely different bars and grips I can't say that any of those combos had a noticeable difference in vibration. In fact, I have no problems at all with vibration anywhere on the bike. Haven't seen those Ricor grips but it would be overkill for me.
What might make more of a difference would be using the poly bushings.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't noticed or even thought about a possible difference in vibrations resulting from changing the handlebars. I think a much bigger concern would be how it affects your comfort and the handling characteristics.

Originally Posted by ahorsewithnoname
Bought a Flanders 8" handlebar thinking to lower the stock 10 inch.
Dilemma for me is that the Flanders is chromed steel and the Stock Harley is stainless steel.
My 2010 Bob is the smoothest Dyna I've ever owned. The way I'm thinking is that Harley did a lot of work on tuning the motor balance, getting a smooth combustion burn with the head chamber design and valve timing that what little vibration is felt in the handlers might be damped by the bar design, ie stainless steel and thickness, bend, width shape. I'd hate to upset the bar vibration damping with the Flanders bar with different characteristics.
Anyone out there ever notice any difference in vibration on the grips after changing bars?
By they way, RICOR advertises a new grip design with active vibration control.

Greatgrandpop

Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I think you are surmising that when the engine designers were thinking about timing and head parametrics... they had handlebar vibration in mind as well. I would bet dollars to donuts they did not... hence they mount the bars with vibration dampning donuts, because they did not want to spend the dollars to reduce it 'that' much.

.. you're not going to affect it much with whatever you do.... unless you install 18" apes and poly bushings... then you will get some added buzzing I bet