Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip Over Scare

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
bostock1957
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip Over Scare

Hey Anyone,

Has anyone ever tipped over at a standstill and now has developed a paranoia against it happening again? I know it's better to get back on the horse which threw ya but it's not always easy. Just wondering?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bostock1957
Hey Anyone,

Has anyone ever tipped over at a standstill and now has developed a paranoia against it happening again? I know it's better to get back on the horse which threw ya but it's not always easy. Just wondering?
Yep, I'll be the first to fess up.

And I've been riding for ~50 years, which could be part of the problem. Although I let it happen on an Electra Glide 20 or so years ago, the most recent time was ~8 years ago on a very top heavy Honda CB1100f, so I'm writing it off to that.

I maybe wouldn't say I have a paranoia but I do think about it occasionally, especially when my wife is riding along. It's just part of the risk. You might want to look at it as a "what's the worst possible case" kind of thing and press on. On the scale of things that can happen it's far from the worst.

But getting back to your question, yeah, it's happened to us all.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

I tip over at a stand still at least once a year 'cause I'm a 'tard. Mostly inattentiveness, and the occasional center stand on uneven surface issue. Embarrassing, yeah, but no damage due to engine and bag guards.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep! In my garage no less! I was cleaning the rear wheel, rolling it back and forth, and didn't notice that the jiffy stand had kicked up during that last push. By the time I "discovered" it, it was too late to save her from going all the way down. Luckily the only damage was a scratch on the brake lever and a bent shifter arm.

If nothing else, I learned that I can get it back up on 2 wheels without a problem.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM
BETTY-BOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it coming to stop at a red light, but I know I was looking down instead of straight ahead because the road was wet & I was looking for oil before I put my foot down. Maybe that's what happened to you. Brush yourself off & mount up!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes... and.... No.

Yes I've tipped it over... and no I'm not paranoid about doing it again.

Hell.. I laid it flat on it's right side on a gravel road..(too much front brake coming to a sudden stop). all I did was bend the rear brake lever..... tell my how I got away with that one 'cause I'll never know....

But here's the thing.... if just tipping it over scares you enough that you are questioning getting back on it.... you probably need to sell it. You need to maintain your decision making capabilities at ALL times when riding... and worrying about tipping over has your mind occupied with something other than what it should be thinking about...

Sorry if those words seem a bit harsh... but tipping over is not something you should be paranoid about.... all the dorks talking or texting on phones while driving 4-wheels... that is something to be paranoid about.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I laid mine down on a freshly painted white stripe trying to get off the road during a downpour. I got back on the bike and rode it the last twenty miles to my destination. It was a little sketchy since the handlebar was a little crooked but getting back on the horse was what I needed. I almost laid it down going into the garage when it was raining. I felt the front tire sliding and let off the front brake in time. I'm a lot more careful those last few feet of the ride but I wouldn't say I'm paranoid about it.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

'Bout 35 yrs. ago. Just home from the local , and thinking it was such a nice night to ride but decided against it cause of the amount I had in me , so there I am sitting in front of my garage and just shut it off and layed it down on my left leg. Oops , forgot the kickstand! I don't do either of them anymore !

Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the last 30 years a couple of times once on gravel and once my leg wasn't long enough to touch the ground on a hill.
I'm not paranoid but I think about it more as I get older and my knees ain't what they used to be.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep I'm another garage offender. Thought the stand was down and started leaner it over so I could get off and it just kept going. Since I was on the bike I was able to lay it down nice and easy, get off, and pick it back up. But I felt like such a moron (and I was).... Now I double/triple check that the stand is down. Good lesson to learn in the garage instead of the parking lot in front of all my buds!

And... no, didn't develop any paranoia -- if anything, learning the lesson made me more confident that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Quick Reply: Tip Over Scare