Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Chrome cleaning question

ORIGINAL: Bradley

Eagle One brand Never Dull. It looks like cotton wadding, but the more you rub the brighter it shines. My triple trees look like chrome. It really doesn't take that long. Be careful using regular chrome polish, it is too abrasive for the softer metals. It was leaving little scratches in my triple trees before I went to the Never Dull.
Yeah...I'll second that. I have a can of it...and like it was said in an earlier post, when you rub, a grayish film/liquid forms...wipe off and buff. Looks good as new. I had a Yamaha YZF a couple months ago (that I've since sold)...and I was cleaning it up so that I could sell it. There were metal parts that were really in bad shape. That stuff made those parts look if not new, much much better. That is great stuff.

Todd

Old 10-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The largest supplier of aluminum in the world also has some of the best products to clean it and protect it. ALCOA.

Get their spray on sealer, all the truckers use it on their wheels. You can go 6 months without having to polish with Mother's. Just touch up the shine with ALCOA's PDQ Brightener between full polish jobs.

I had a snowmobile with a natural aluminum tunnel I kept polished. That's a harsh enviroment, but it shined all season.

The biggest place I have seen it work is on my truck. F250 Crew Cab with Weld Wheels. The wheels are 7 years old, been on the truck since new. 130,000 miles, 1/2 of which are in the salt and crud of a Michigan winter. Still shine!

ALCOA Products

[IMG]local://upfiles/18164/C44B6BBF8F224844827941CEEE8CC6D3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18164/0FA2B454BA464979AFB594C0F3435DA2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

So let me ask you guys something...

In the year I've owned my bike, I've yet to polish the few chrome pieces I have (pipes, bars, rear fender dohickeys). In between washes, I take a little Windex, clean them off, then rub them with a soft cloth till that hazy film goes away - similar to buffing, I guess. Is this adequate? I've never owned anything with chrome so I really have no idea. I have several polishing compounds that I bought early on, but, since the chrome parts look good without them*, I never bothered using them. I have polished the aluminum parts a couple of times.

Whiff

*All except my (aftermarket) rear view mirrors which are pitted to hell.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:32 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiffleboy

So let me ask you guys something...

In the year I've owned my bike, I've yet to polish the few chrome pieces I have (pipes, bars, rear fender dohickeys). In between washes, I take a little Windex, clean them off, then rub them with a soft cloth till that hazy film goes away - similar to buffing, I guess. Is this adequate? I've never owned anything with chrome so I really have no idea. I have several polishing compounds that I bought early on, but, since the chrome parts look good without them*, I never bothered using them. I have polished the aluminum parts a couple of times.

Whiff

*All except my (aftermarket) rear view mirrors which are pitted to hell.
Hey Whiff...you might want to pick up that HD quick detail spray stuff. It's probably better than using Windex because 1) you can use it on paint and chrome, 2) it will probably give some sort of protection from the elements, unlike the windex, and 3) it's just as easy as windex....spray on, wipe off. Honda makes a similar polish. But they're all pretty much the same thing. I'd say, if you don't want to use waxes, compouds, metal polishes, etc, pick up some of the HD spray on stuff. You should still use the waxes and polishes once in a while..but this stuff is great for a quick spray down after a ride. I use it after every ride to clean/polish the entire bike....paint and chrome...and my bike always looks like new.

Todd

Old 10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
CobraSnake
Cruiser

they are polished ali use aluminum polish i use mothers aluminum polish you may wana consider a cover save you some headache and elbow grease