Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna "Touring" Windshield-Anybody have one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does a windshield do for a passenger? does it improve the ride for THEM too?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ajpointless
Your absolutely right, and I guess it all boils down to riding style, comfort and preference. For me, I live in Germany right now, and riding in the rain here is not my cup of tea, so I avoid it if at all possible. I will even pull over, hide under a bridge, or get off the highway just to avoid getting pelted by cold rain. If I was in Florida, where the rain is normally nice a warm - though the drops are bigger - then I wouldnt mind so much throwing on a rain suit and bearing with it. Even the people here that ride those sorry excuses for road bikes known as crotch rockets (of which out number us cruisers 30 to 1), ride around in the rain all the time, and at very fast, dangerous for ALL, speeds. But I dont like to, though I have quite a time or two. So for me, its rare and doesnt last that long anyways.

We will see, and only time will tell, if I will eventually get a shorter shield or not. For now though, I say go with what feels right, and is still safe within your limitations.
If you get to the point of wanting to get a shorter shield, look into just cutting yours down to exactly where you want it to be. Its not really too difficult to do.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Subu
Cruiser

The touring shield is 19 inches correct? How tall are you guys that can see over it?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Subu
The touring shield is 19 inches correct? How tall are you guys that can see over it?
Its not so much your height to consider, but how tall you are from the seat up. I would find out where they make their measurement from on the shield, and then see how it compares, on level line, to where the tip of your nose is when you are sitting normally in the seat holding the grips.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ajpointless
Not that I have noticed so far. No damage at all. If you leave it on there for a prolonged period of time, then take it off, you will notice an area that is cleaner than the rest where the QDs were at. But it all goes away with some cleaner and a rag, or some never dull.

If anyone has had a different experience, then please let me know, so I will look out for it in the future.
Very light "shiney" marks on mine but... it's a machine.

On a side note, I bought a small bicycle combination cable lock and run it through the slot in one of the windsheild mounts, and wrap it around one fork tube. It adds about 30 seconds to attaching/detaching the windshield, but it adds peace of mind leaving the bike unattended.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BETTY-BOB
I do, No complaints! Mine is the "smoked" one...but not as dark as I thought it would be. The "quick detach" is a great feature, for riding &/or cleaning. Here is a shot to show you the "curves".

I tried one of these out today on my Street Bob - spending about an hour on the freeway. It definitely is more effective at redirecting wind around you but I still experienced the buffeting that is so typical with HD's strap on windshields. It also is too tall for me - the top of the shield cut directly across my line of vision. At 5'6", I have to stretch to see over it. Yes, it can be lowered another inch or so on the forks but at that point, you're overlapping part of the headlight.

I'd probably like it better if I were two or three inches taller.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

TowJam, any shield can be cut down, just have to find the right procedure for the type of material the shield is made from.

I believe if you check out National Cycle's shields you'll find they prevent buffeting, they are tough as nails, and for Harley's, they have a keyed lock to help prevent theft. I just ordered mine tall and cut it down to a custom height just for me. EZ to do. Nat. Cycle also offers a set of lower deflectors that fit right onto the mounts for the shield, and man do they work. I had those Memphis Shades deflectors, and they made a little difference, but I didn't care for the way they looked. After I got over the total cost of my shield setup with the deflectors (yes its not cheap) and I went on some long rides through all sorts of weather, I am totally glad I went ahead and spent the money because they really work.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

have one on a 2008superglide put the lower clamps below the triple tree works in nice weather if you are short, bad weather move it up.