Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Race Tech Emulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Installing Race Tech Emulators

Will be installing a pair of emulators from Motorcycle Metal on my FXDC soon. This will be training for me to get ready to do my Ultra before I run the Hoka Hey again in 2011. One of the biggest mistakes I made was not upgrading my suspension before the last Challenge, the next biggest issue was not installing the SE comp, had to get that done at Soldatna HD (gratest dealer ever period). Will keep you guys posted with pics on the install as well as an amature write up.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Okay I got the emulators on after a nice day in the garage with direction from Howard. Not too hard of a job vs removing and installing the chrome front end on a Ultra.

Howard came up with some suggestions like puttin an external adjustable spring pre-load on the forks with Ohlins straight rate ultra light springs in the forks, this is without a doubt do-able.

Started out at 0800 hrs put bike on the table, pulled the wheel, caliper, fender, etc. Had the forks out in half hour. Took the forks apart for cleaning and inspection. I have to say I thought this would be easier than it was as far as the cleaning and inspection, I seen Howard's movie about cleaning the forks but I had only 4k miles on the bike so they should have been clean, but they weren't. This is what I saw after cursory cleaning and inspection. I have to say the consistency was like a lapping paste I used to use cleaning steam traps in the boiler house at work..

This is the best shot down the slide I could get, its about half a teaspoon of "lapping paste, remember this is after the first wipe down,

Asked Howard where the lapping paste is coming from, he explained its from spring rubbing on the inside of the fork tube as the spring compresses and kinks. I thought I was finished after cleaning the lapping paste, Howard had other ideas, sprayed some cleaner and the paste accumulated at the bottom of the slider. I used a piece of 1/4 " copper tubing and paper towels like a gun bore swab, then used a long bottle brush then sprayed the slider down. I brushed and wiped the sliders down 3 times then hit it with Ohlins SpeedClean.This pic below are the towels from the 3 wipe downs with mineral spirits. Remember this bike only has 4 k miles on it, all on nice smooth Fla roads. I was surprised how nasty the internals were.

Long story short, clean your internals anytime you have the forks apart, kind of like cleaning your guns after shooting just do it.

Read and re reading the instructions from Race Tech.

Next up was drilling out the Damper, 6 holes of 5/16 at 7/16th intervals in staggered formation. Used a V Block on a drill press.Chamfered each hole with a countersink, deburr the internal side of the chamfered holes, make sure there is no loose metal inside that can fall off.

By adding the emulator and aluminum adapter you are adding space in the tube, you then have to remove the same amount from the stock spring pre-load spacer.This will maintain the exact same pre-load.

Properly assembled the forks and installed on the bike, now will go out for a ride, its only 40 here so I will have to wear a long sleeve shirt.Will post a ride report later.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:25 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these devices you're installing similar to the Ricor Inteminators? Are you ridding the Dyna for 2011?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Reese I think they are similar. These improve the ride greatly, granted I am running strainght roads that are pretty smooth tonight but I hit every manhole and a few speed bumps, they definately smooth things out and manage front end dive well.

I will be utilizing the Dyna more, trying to keep the Ultra for the multi day/week trips (even though the Dyna is good for those too). I like the ride of the Dyna with this bigger motor, working the suspension now. Am actually thinking how I can talk the wife into that Fuel Moto 107 the Dyna even though I just installed the S&S 106, the FM 107 numbers are looking good, real good. I also have to install Ohlins and Emulators on the Ultra for my long ride this year. You should join us on the Dragon in April.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
Are these devices you're installing similar to the Ricor Inteminators? Are you ridding the Dyna for 2011?
Here's one of the better descriptions:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4564199-post12.html

Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

Nice post

Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah crap.... i have NEVER so much as changed the oil in the front forks!!! can all this be done on a weekend with common hand tools? well... minus all the drilling. and im not interested in adding any fancy stuff to my front forks. i just wanna clean 'em up like you did. can it be done?

Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com
ah crap.... i have NEVER so much as changed the oil in the front forks!!! can all this be done on a weekend with common hand tools? well... minus all the drilling. and im not interested in adding any fancy stuff to my front forks. i just wanna clean 'em up like you did. can it be done?

Very easy to do. If you have the service manual (or just search this forum, plenty of "how-to's and pics" it is easy. The only special tool was the large top cap nut (large socket) and the 12mm allen for the bottom of the fork sliders, both which are not too typical in smaller home based tool kits, but easy to buy/find at Sears/Harbor freight.

Tore a front end a part and had it back together (chrome kit on my fathers WG) in less than 3 hours and beers.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Well it is not required until 50k service or so, but its only a 2-3 hour job on the Dyna and the factory oil is shitty.

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com

Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which oil do you recommend for the forks?

Quick Reply: Installing Race Tech Emulators