Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half-helmet Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM
truthfire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half-helmet Recommendations?

I really want to get a half-helmet for when I ride around here locally. Does anyone have any recommendations on some good fitting helmets? I tried a couple on, but they sit high on my head and make me look like a mushroom.

I was wondering if there was something out there that had a lower, more fitted look....

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Most DOT approved half helmets are gonna give you the "mushroom" head. There are many "novelty" helmets that look much better. IMO It's all up to you...

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EricInNCa is right, if you're looking for something real low profile, there are a lot of options that do not provide much protection that you are free to use. If you choose to wear a DOT approved half-shell, however, it's probably going to be thicker, more crashworthy, and likely imbued with the visual characteristics of fungi. My beef with helmets is that they're too hot. If you're looking for something that vents well, consider the HJC FS-2. It breathes better than most half-shells, and instead of looking like a mushroom cap, it makes you look like an X-wing fighter pilot from Star Wars. Sweeeeet.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
monkusbee
Novice

Half helmets are noisy, look like hell, don't fit, choke you, move off your head at highway speeds...they suck

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smallest DOT helmet that i've found is made by ACC. If you do a search on the forum or on google for 'ACC Helmet' you'll find lots of info. I've had 2 of them and I just can't seem to find a good comfortable fit in them. Lots of others like them though.

Like the 1st poster mentioned, 'novelty' helmets are an option.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Renoir1
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got a Z1R Nomad. Tried quite a few on and found the Nomad was comfortable and was the least mushroom-like of those I tried.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
fchava
Intermediate

Originally Posted by monkusbee
Half helmets are noisy, look like hell, don't fit, choke you, move off your head at highway speeds...they suck
you are correct on all points

Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monkusbee
I haven't heard any noises coming out of mine and mine looks smokin'

Mine fit fine, even rode it for 900 miles in one day and never had any issues with choking, gagging, loss of ability to breath, talk or anything else. Although it did want to move off my head and into one of the bags on the back of my bike I was able to convince it to stay on my head (thought I did have to introduce it to Mr. Chin-Strap). Didn't realize they could suck so may have to check that out later.

ACC went out of business. The DOT found that their helmets didn't pass the puncture test. The DOT told them they had to track down all the people that bought the DOT helmets from them, recall them and reimburse the purchaser. They did for a few people and then just closed down and disappeared. As for half helmets just have to keep checking them out, but I had heard that Daytona 1/2 helmets were pretty good.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:44 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ACC is out of business

Originally Posted by jb27
The smallest DOT helmet that i've found is made by ACC. If you do a search on the forum or on google for 'ACC Helmet' you'll find lots of info. I've had 2 of them and I just can't seem to find a good comfortable fit in them. Lots of others like them though.

Like the 1st poster mentioned, 'novelty' helmets are an option.

Advanced Carbon Composites (ACC) went out of business around May of 2010. Their ACC carbon fiber/kevlar helmet (I had one) was de-certified by the NHTSA. They were ordered by NHTSA to refund the purchase price to everyone that had bought one of their helmets. I filed for my refund in June of 2010 and they returned my helmet saying they could not afford any more refunds. They are out of business.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Daytona seems to make the smallest and lightest (esp. fiber) 1/2 shell on the market. But if you want a DOT thats not a mushroom, go get a 3/4 helmet like a Bell 500.

Quick Reply: Half-helmet Recommendations?