Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half-helmet Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmikaele

ACC went out of business. The DOT found that their helmets didn't pass the puncture test. The DOT told them they had to track down all the people that bought the DOT helmets from them, recall them and reimburse the purchaser. They did for a few people and then just closed down and disappeared. As for half helmets just have to keep checking them out, but I had heard that Daytona 1/2 helmets were pretty good.
I don't think they went out of business. Their website it still up at www.headtriphelmets.com. They just don't sell them as motorcycle helmets. Their half helmets are listed as kayak helmets. Those helmets, despite not being DOT rated, still have to be better than any junk made in China, IMO.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Head injuries are most common serious injury and leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident. 35% of head impacts in a motorcycle accident are to the face and chin area. (Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany). Might be a good reason to consider a decent full face helmet plus they are more comfortable on the highway or in cooler weather. Love my Shoei, they now make one specific for cruisers and tour bikes. What ever helmet you end up with, IMO you get what you pay for, higher quality helmets usually fit more accurately, are lighter weight, vent better and are usually quieter and have higher safety/impact ratings. A helmet should fit very tightly, just short of painful, it will loosen up over time as the lining packs down and it conforms to your head. If it is too loose it will move on your head at higher speeds or during head checks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD-U4...layer_embedded

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even locally wear a full face. Get one of the modular's that you can pull the front up and drink, talk, take glasses off, put sunglasses on without removing your helmet. I understand the coolness factor of a half helmet, but your chin, face and side of the head don't fix well with the road.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixintu
I've got a Scorpion EXO-100 for hot weather and am pretty happy with it. It has a removable ear skirt and has a built in visor that pops down when you need it.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-...met/57293.html
I have the same helmet and have never had a better helmet in my life. When it's cold I can wear the ear piece, when it rains, pop down the visor and you're dry and at night you can see great. It's cool no matter how hot it is and I never have felt this helmet lift off my head at high speeds, whether I am using my windshield or not. They sell a lot of different colored face shields for them pretty cheap, too. I never go anywhere without it. I've even worn it when it was 32 degrees out and it wasn't as cold as I expected with the shield down. Check out the sight. For the price this helmet is awesome.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
CM22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased and returned at least 10 half helmets over the last few years and have yet to find a DOT half helmet that was worthy. Now I stick to a HJC Modular helmet or a Biltwell (non-DOT) for around town.

half helmets suck +2

Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a Vega that comes about as close to not giving a mushroom head as possible while still being DOT.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

· DOT approved
· Ultra plush interior
· Mini 3-snap visor
· UV clear coating, protecting paint and graphics
· Light weight, low profile, minimalist half helmet
· Padded D-Ring retention system
· Smoothie versions without snaps or visor for the lean look
· Sizes XS-2X

fulmerhelmets.com

Attached Thumbnails Half-helmet Recommendations?-af5r_n15_large.jpg  

Last edited by A1ACruiser; 12-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Rapter-10
Cruiser

if you are looking for a slim profile helmet the vega xts is pretty good. the sides are the slimest of any helmet ive owned. I happen to have an extra on that I bought for my wife...turns out i cant measure...so I have an extra large. in box if your interested.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the Vega. I have a novelty helmet that I have been using for years, but the foam padding is shot so I decided it was time for a new one. Bought a DOT off the internet, Mushroom Head. Sent it back and ate the restocking fee. I measured the novelty helmet and started checking with the different manufacturers. The Vega was a 1/2 inch wider, 1/4 inch on each side and it was an inch longer, 1/2 inch front and rear. Not to bad and really not to mushroomy at all. It was about $45 on the internet. Nothing beats the novelty helmet for size, but I have been hit 3 times over the last 25 years and well I thought it would be safer.....Check out the Vega half helmet and I think you won't be disappointed.....

Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Knucklehead15
Advanced

Get a vega 3/4 helmet. 1/2 helemts aren't worth it. Between noise and lift.

Quick Reply: Half-helmet Recommendations?