Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Tire Install - Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Have made it a habit to change rim strip and tube (heavy duty) @ every tire change.

Re-use tubes and rim strips? Gambling can be great fun, but why gamble unnecessarily w/ your life?
No gamble when the tube is inspected and found to be in good condition. Rim strip is cheap, but if there are no tears or holes then what is the point. Old wives tale in my opinion and I have never had a failure, new does not mean good either and most problems with tubes are due to careless installation of the tire/tube. What ever you feel comfortable with and it adds approximately $25 to each tire replacement. It is also pretty much up to who ever is swapping out the tires, some won't with out replacing others will inspect and recommend if they feel there is any signs of questionable wear.
CB

Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us set the situation straight. There are spoke wheels and there are laced wheels and there are solid wheels (like the fat boy) If you have laced wheels (think... the bicycle you had when you were a kid, or have now for that matter) You do not need a tubeless tire, you do however need a rim strip and tube. Otherwise you need only the tire and air.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

Just to clarify things, this is direct from the 2003 HD service manual for Dynas. Mine is an FXDL with cast spoke wheels.

Tubless tires fitted with the correct size innertubes may be used onall Harley-Davidson laced (wire spoked) wheels. Protective rubber rim strips must be used with tubeless tires (fitted with correct size inner tubes) when mounted on laced (wire spoked) wheels.

Inner tubes must not be used in radial tires and radial tires must not be used on laced (wire spoked/ wheels.

Tubeless tire are used on all Harley-Davidson cast and disc wheels.

For the last read spoke and solid (as in the Fat Boy) wheels.

The FLHRC in my pic is a laced (wire spoked) wheel, so is my sporty. The FXDL in my garage is a cast spoke wheel and is tubeless w/ no rim strip or tube

Ya'll need to do yoursef a favor. Buy a service manual and consult it

Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

One last note on laced (wire spoked) wheels Make damn sure that the individual spokes are properly tensioned. Saw one on the lift last summer that had the hub on the rear wheel all but decinerated because some of the individual wires were not properly torqued. Owner noticed a wobble in the rear and took it to the dealer. Wish I had pics of the destruction. Guy is lucky the whole wheel didn't go. If you don't have the knowledge and/or the tools leave it to the experts.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I mispoke about the radials...my bad.

Any more nuggets of wisdom you want to hit us over the head with?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Not necessarily...I have that type of valve stem on my tubeless roadwinder wheels.
But not on stock spoked rims

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, everyone who has used a tube in a radial and a radial on a laced rim and had a failure due that, please post.
CB