Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge problem

I apparently have a bad gas gauge because about 50 miles after the red light came on I ran out. I seem to have the only working harley gas gauge in existence. I was headed to the gas station today thinking I had about a half gallon left but apparently not, I ended up pushing the bike about half a block to the gas station.

At least I got to go for a ride, sorry some of you guys are in hibernation.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, now you know you have exactly 50 miles to get to the gas station once the warning light comes on.

So what appears to be the problem exactly?

side note............I run about 150 to 180 miles and head to a station so I never run out.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Smitty79
Road Master

My problem is I put a tank lift on my bike and my gauge is way off. I hit 80 miles and my gas light comes on. I just ignore it and keep on going till I hit around 120 miles then stop and get gas. At least your gauge works...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonster13
I seem to have the only working harley gas gauge in existence.
Interesting, must have slipped past the quality assurance inspectors? Didn't think that was possible.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 AM
dog116929
Cruiser

I am only hearing one problem that you are having, you are getting 50 MPG, you are not hammering it hard enough !

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get it? To comment you run out of gas with a warning telling you that you needed gas for "miles" is ... unusual.

You have a gas gauge PROBLEM when you don't have any fuel indications, which if I read your post correctly was not the problem.

So for 50 miles you rode with a low full indicator and you ran out just before the gas station, so what's the complaint? According to my experience that's better than most. When I switch to reserve I have about 35 miles of gas left and head to a station ASAP.

FYI ... I made certain my gauge worked. Cost me a float, that wasn't the problem. Turned out the tank had bad ground which is the main cause of most all gas gauge issues. Too much isolation on the tank and not enough solid ground contact will prevent the gauge from working, which is a ground seeking rheostat. I ran a secondary ground right off the float's bolts to the frame. Works perfect since the fix.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

To me, gas gauges on a Harley are like **** on a boar, useless....You have 2 trip meters on your bike, 1 i set so I no how many miles i put on my bike, the other i set everytime I fill up....
Around 140 I start looking for a gas station.........

Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain

I was kidding guys, I know running out of gas was my fault for being lazy and not getting fuel earlier.

I was actually commenting on the fact that my flush fit gas cap/gauge actually works.

I'm not quite getting 50mpg, I did the math and it worked out to 48mpg and I am pretty damn happy with it.

I would rather push my bike than ride any other, I couldnt believe that after having to push that heavy bike half a block I was still in a really good mood and jumped on after fueling and ran it another 100 miles before topping back off and heading home.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait, the gauge is supposed to work??? Really?

Use your milage and know your bike dude. 150-180 miles for me befor fill up.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhh.... Nevermind...

Quick Reply: Gas gauge problem