Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats better for wiring handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
ed gien
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats better for wiring handlebars?

Should I go and buy a wiring extension kit or just get my own wires and do it myself for installing my new handlebars? And what gauge wires? 14?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just used my own wire but don't recall off hand what gauge I used.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM
CheezyRiderAZ
Advanced

When I changed bars about two years ago, a buddy did his at the same time.
That was a lucky break for me as there were no extension kits available for my bike.
He spent a good bit of time just figuring out how to remove the pins in the plugs, plus soldering and heat shrinking everything, while I replaced his throttle, clutch, and brake lines on both our bikes. Lucky me!
And lucky he didn't cross any wires, fired it up and everything was perfect.
Somehow I think it woulda been different if it was just me....
If I was doin' it again and an extension kit was available, I'd definitely buy one.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

they make wire extensions ? do tell

Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you can cut and solder wire, just do it yourself. Those wire extensions are nice, but expensive for what you get. If you are not confident splicing wires, buy the extensions.
Just make them long enough to hide the connectors back in the frame. 16 or 18 AWG wire will work just fine. 14 is too heavy.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Double heat shrink the wires.. which is to say, do the individual wires and then heat shrink the bundle.... protects the splices better. I also got some braided nylon wire loom to protect the wire where it comes out of the bars, down to the backbone. Cleans it up too.

Attached Thumbnails Whats better for wiring handlebars?-dsc00495.jpg   Whats better for wiring handlebars?-dsc00496.jpg   Whats better for wiring handlebars?-dsc00510.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Double heat shrink the wires.. which is to say, do the individual wires and then heat shrink the bundle.... protects the splices better. I also got some braided nylon wire loom to protect the wire where it comes out of the bars, down to the backbone. Cleans it up too.
Something else to consider is that when you cut the wires, cut them each in slightly different locations (meaning: stagger the locations). That way when you splice them back together you don't end up with a big "clump" of wire connectors in the same location. It helps to make it easier when you pull the wires...

Last edited by EricInNCa; 12-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Mok (10-22-2023)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Something else to consider is that when you cut the wires, cut them each in slightly different locations (meaning: stagger the locations). That way when you splice them back together you don't end up with a big "clump" of wire connectors in the same location. It helps to make it easier the pull the wires...
That is a good one to remember Eric... specially if you are wiring in limited space.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 PM
MacBean
Cruiser

I use the wire extensions to keep the colors correct, because after a few beers it makes it easier to get it back together.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
n2gzus
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought extensions and still ended up using my own wire, splicing, and soldering the whole thing anyway. The extensions have metal female ends the the male connectors go into. In my case, one of the connectors came out of the shrink wrap and started making contact with the bar and shorting out. I'd say save money by making the extensions yourself.

Quick Reply: Whats better for wiring handlebars?