Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats better for wiring handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut and solder myself it's just more fun doing it that way...

Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 AM
CrustyAngel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was lucky my wideglide had enough wires already in the frame for 16" Bars

Nams sell wire extensions, easy kit to use all the hard work is done !
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c..._96_to_06.html

Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyAngel
i was lucky my wideglide had enough wires already in the frame for 16" Bars

Nams sell wire extensions, easy kit to use all the hard work is done !
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c..._96_to_06.html
Did you hide the connectors back in the frame?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Extensions, no solder, better job in the end.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:22 AM
NOZEM
Road Warrior

I made my own extensions, regardless what you do it's a tedious job. Be sure to shrink wrap each individual solder connection then shrink wrap the whole thing. Took a couple of hours to complete the job. not difficult at all. good luck.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Extensions, no solder, better job in the end.
i have to dissagree... i have had over 9 bikes in my shop that shorted out when the ext unplugged and hit the bars shorting out the whole system... i sugest solder even with extensions

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Nazarah
Intermediate

I'll be doing this to my bike as well this winter as a side project, and plan to solder and heat shrink. It's the only way to go to make sure it's done right and will last as long as it needs to.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazarah
I'll be doing this to my bike as well this winter as a side project, and plan to solder and heat shrink. It's the only way to go to make sure it's done right and will last as long as it needs to.
Yep. All you do is just give yourself all the time you need (don't rush it), either draw the connectors on a sheet with which wire goes where (or a picture), and it's a piece of cake.

I also acquired some braided nylon wire loom (as well as some stainless braid) to cover the wires coming out of the bars and down to the backbone. I wasn't sure if I wanted the stainless (to match my cables/brake lines) or not. Turns out the black nylon braid looked better.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i have to dissagree... i have had over 9 bikes in my shop that shorted out when the ext unplugged and hit the bars shorting out the whole system... i sugest solder even with extensions
I'm bettin those plug assy's were not redone correctly which allowed them to come apart and short out.

Everytime you make a connection you create a chance for failure. There is less a chance if you use plug assy's and they are put together correctly. Everytime you use solder you put more resistance in the wire run. Maybe its negligible maybe not. But its there. I have also seen solder joints gather moisture over time. No shrink tube is going to keep 100% of the moisture out. Doing it more than once helps, but in all my years of building cars and working on bikes I have found sticking to conventional terminal block assy's to be much more reliable, and breaking down on the road with shorted wires in your bars is a whole lot more of a b!tch than when in a car, so I go with what I have found to work the best for me. My bud also agrees and he's been a HD wrench, service mgr and bike builder for nearly as long. So its not just me.

So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I sure cannot question your work or creations JRK, you make some wicked cool bikes.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil_keeps_me_young
I cut and solder myself it's just more fun doing it that way...
Evil Bunny certified!!

Originally Posted by JRK5892
As many times as this Joe changes bars I would have to agree with him. Many issues to be had with those extensions. Everybody I know who is experienced in HD building solders the connections. They do make rolls of wire that have all of the HD colors in them. The best of both worlds. Solder and color matched. I am cheap so I will just get some 16-18 ga and take my time wiring and marking the wires.

Quick Reply: Whats better for wiring handlebars?