Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fl-Dyna: Slow go at the painter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Nothing turned up on my forum search, but it sounds like you guys have done/seen this done before.

A few days ago I ran across a photo showing a Dyna frame which had had its' fender struts widened to accept a RK fender. Not sure I'd want to cut/weld on the frame/struts, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to just "spread" the struts a tiny bit @ the back, where the wider fender doesn't want to flex inward (w/o dramatically changing the look of what is left exposed).

On my project, the modified Tour-Pak will hide most of the fender in the strut area, behind a new solo seat, so slight inconsistencies will not show. I even thought to simply leave the stock fender in place, and use only that part of the SG fender which will be visible beneath the Pak. This facilitates seat mounting, but besides adding weight, this would leave only the aft strut holes & hardbag support frames to take all the load, while making little structural contribution, w/ the fender loosing much of its' inherent stiffness. Then there is the small issue of the SG fender ending much higher, in front, where the stock fender ends rather low, offering greater protection.
Like I said in an earlier post, grind the nub on the inside of the struts down where the rear bolt goes through and it WILL fit. I have a 2009 Street Glide rear fender on mine and that's all I did.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...on-a-dyna.html

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
streetbobkid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A scissor jack would probably work to widen them a bit, just remember the little but you need won't look like much at all

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks fellas.

Here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...i-project.html
is a link I found to ack's project, in case others might be interested.

Edit: Somehow I missed seeing this link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...on-a-dyna.html

Once I take mine apart (this winter) I'll see what you mean by "grinding the struts", but I'm extremely reluctant to make any irreversible mods to the frame. But I am determined to make it work--whatever it takes.

Edit to add: I see what you mean about the grinding--good photos (from the link). And I see how you added a piece of an original fender to extend the FL fender lower in front. Nice job.

Last edited by lo-rider; 12-12-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Hey Harvey..................we need more pictures!!!!

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Thanks fellas.

Here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...i-project.html
is a link I found to ack's project, in case others might be interested.

Edit: Somehow I missed seeing this link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/dyna-g...on-a-dyna.html

Once I take mine apart (this winter) I'll see what you mean by "grinding the struts", but I'm extremely reluctant to make any irreversible mods to the frame. But I am determined to make it work--whatever it takes.

Edit to add: I see what you mean about the grinding--good photos (from the link). And I see how you added a piece of an original fender to extend the FL fender lower in front. Nice job.
The amount I took off was minimal, maybe 3/16 per side. You still have to be carefull slipping the fender in because it is tight. I also shimmed the strut covers out so they wouldn't cantact the fender. If you ever decided to go back to a stock fender all it would take is a washer to fill the gap.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No new pics soon. Tony, the painter, is working to get wheels (a wrecked Dodge Supercab) up and running for his own use. Tranny's out of his wife's car, a customer offered him too much money for his personalized Toyota 4x4 last week, so Tony and his family are using his dad's spare car.
As a side note. Tony was one of my 5th grade Science students about 20 years ago. He's a lot better body man/painter than a student.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by U-234
As a side note. Tony was one of my 5th grade Science students about 20 years ago. He's a lot better body man/painter than a student.
Funny how that works. Seems people that are good with their hands don't care much for the book stuff.