Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossover = Useless

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
Nice idea but FI tanks don't have reserve at least mine doesn't
Thanks for this info, Ed! Didn't know that...my reference is my carbed FXD 2003 as you will understand. Have to think "out of the box" more often

Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

its pointless and a hassle but oh well it is what it is.......

Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, you got to have it due to the tunnel for the frame backbone. There used to be a guy that sold something called an EZ-Flo that went on the crossover. Essentially male and female quick disconnect fittings that shut off the flow when disconnected.

The crossover is really a PITA.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get dry disconnect hose coupling from people like ATL: http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/Racing/20...oductguide.pdf.

You would cut the cross-over hose and then fit a male in one pipe and a female in the other. Push them together and it work as normal. Pull them apart to remove the tank and both parts auto-seal.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I was just outside having a smoke when a thought occurred to me. (Stand back).

It doesn't seem logical to me that having a crossover on our FI one-piece tanks makes much sense to me. It's one big tank, and to be honest I think the crossover just gets in the way and makes it a P.I.T.A. to remove the tank when doing major work to your bike that would require tank removal.

On the older two-piece tanks, yes , it makes sense.
Well how do you think the gas gets from the right side half to the left side when the outlet is on the left side???

Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

use the a clear lighter that has the center divider in it, it acts like a tank with the channel in the center. you have to tip it over to an angle that would allow the gas to flow over the channel/hump or shake it to get the gas to the other side. so if your cruising on the highway you could loose some of the gas on the other side. but i dont think the channel/hump is that big/heigh in the back of the tank by the seat so i dont think you would loose that much gas maybe a 1/4 gallon max. easy way to find out is to take another hose clamp and tighten it in the middle of the crossover to pinch and cut off the cross tube so you dont mess your tank up plugging it or waste your cross over tube and if it dont work take the hose clamp off and if it works then remove the hose and remove and plug the nipples. jackyl.

Last edited by jackyl; 12-10-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Joe376
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a spare tank laying around so I took a pic of the tank hump for yall. Yall be the judge. Id say its about 2" tall.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I was just outside having a smoke when a thought occurred to me. (Stand back).

It doesn't seem logical to me that having a crossover on our FI one-piece tanks makes much sense to me. It's one big tank, and to be honest I think the crossover just gets in the way and makes it a P.I.T.A. to remove the tank when doing major work to your bike that would require tank removal.

On the older two-piece tanks, yes , it makes sense.
Vic, my Uncle always said "When one doesn't think so good, one shouldn't think so much" ... LOL

So is there any reason why you could not have a quick disconnect on the right side like you have on the left, with a wye in the fuel line?
Was actually thinking about this the other day when I was thinking about building a custom tank.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I pulled my tank, I installed a brass male "T" fitting on the cross over tube on the left side (away from the exhaust) with a 12" piece of 1/4 fuel line hanging down and plugged the end along with hose clamps on all of the fittings. Now when I need to pull the tank I pull out the 12" "T" line, pull the plug and stick it into my jerry can. The tank drains without a mess and the hose clamps make it easy to remove the cross over "T" line. When everything is installed I zip tie the 12" "T" line to the left frame down tube.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley say's why change a good thing , it would cost more for redesigned , it's all about the money these days !

Quick Reply: Crossover = Useless