Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Lower Forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Halomatic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Lower Forks

I want to get the chrome lower forks for my F-bob. Is it very difficult or does it require some special tools to change these out? Do you recommend having the dealership install them? Thanks.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A 12mm Hex and a short piece of PVC pipe to use to press the seals in is all I had to buy when I did mine. Everything else was just basic tools. It's not a bad job but do recommend a service manual.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Wheelup
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

If you know your way around tools, it's not a problem.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
A 12mm Hex and a short piece of PVC pipe to use to press the seals in is all I had to buy when I did mine. Everything else was just basic tools. It's not a bad job but do recommend a service manual.
This is one job that having a service manual is about as useless as useless gets.

The first time I swapped lowers/disassembled the forks, I sat and read that section of manual and found nothing in there to be of any use.

The 12mm hex you would want is available at NAPA. It's the perfect size to reach up into the forks to loosen the damper rod bolt.

Napa p/n: NPT 615312
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...312_0006572290

Fork seal driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nQpVA8um0

Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Polish your stock ones and they look almost like chrome when finished. And, you don't have to tear the forks down.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Polish your stock ones and they look almost like chrome when finished. And, you don't have to tear the forks down.
jaxdwg - What did you use to polish your forks? They look nice !!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
jaxdwg - What did you use to polish your forks? They look nice !!
Get some masking tape, and some scotch brite, coarse and fine. pull the wheel and fender and mask the rubber then scotch with the coarse till the clear is gone. now use the fine to smoothe things up more, then get a towel and some Happich Semichrome at your dealer. use sparingly and polish the tubes. If it is turning black it is working. shine it up and use a coat of wax to keep it good till you polish it again. each time you polish it, it will get shinier. terrycloth towel is the rag ticket

Last edited by jaxdwg; 12-10-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Just did mine and turned out great. Some key areas of concern are to ensure that you don't strip out the hex screws at the bottom of each leg. Helps to loosen up the hex screw and tube cap before taking off the bike if possible. You'll need a work table or vice of some kind to hold the legs straight up while you work on them, especially when replacing the seals and putting the caps back on. PVC piping works great to seat the primary seal down, although I was afraid that I was going to damage the rubber seal with the edges of the pipe, but never did. I also replaced the pinch bolts and hex screws with new hardware. Make sure you have the right tools as well. Mine took a 35mm socket for the caps and a 6mm extended allen for the hex screws.

Fix Your Hog has a really great video for helping you visualize what you need to do for a step by step. May not be exactly the same fork that you are working with, but its all the same and easy to relate. Best $20 I spent and things went really smooth...except for stripping the hex screw in one leg, but that's another story..

Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Halomatic
Novice

Thanks alot guys - you've been a big help. I found some saddlebags to buy, so now I have to wait a couple more paydays to get my forks. But atleast now I know its only going to cost the price of the forks since I can install them.