Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windvest on a Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Mermoto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
I had a similar experience with the 14' Windvest. Meaning that it was almost perfect but you had to crouch just a little bit to keep it from making my glasses wobble. When I run mine, I have it mounted quite a bit lower than you do as I copied Robottom and mounted the framing directly on top of the triple trees. Since my original mounting position, I have decided that I would not try to make it stop all the wind on my face and helmet. I lowered it down and cut the bottom to follow the contour of my FatBob headlights. Now it protects the body but not the head and face. Here are a couple pics from an earlier thread...

Hi EricInNCa,

Good pictures - at last someone is getting near to the right sort of screen for the Fatbob. I was looking to do some shaping just like you have done. Is there any adjustment for changing the screen angle? I looks like a factory fit, but I wish Windvest made the screen just slightly more pointy at the top as it is just bit too square still. I suppose one could just shape the top a little?

Mermoto

Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Mermoto, There is no tilt angle adjustment when installed this way. At least without installing shims of some sort. Like I said earlier, even the guys that install them on the handlebars or risers have the same type of results that I had. I think the angle is pretty good, plus I tend to be more driven by the look and not by providing full wind protection. Ultimately it will provide protection for my GPS when I get that positioned and mounted. I've also toyed around with the idea of painting it black just for effect. Maybe I'll put some black paper on the backside to see if I like the look...

Cheers Mate!

Here's another angle of the "Vest"

Last edited by EricInNCa; 12-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
laroc
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That screen actually looks really good on your bike Eric. I'm not a fan of them generally but they are good for touring.
You might want to look into some form of windscreen tinting rather than paint. Might be worth a visit to an autoshop.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
baldu
Advanced

Originally Posted by TX Stig
Are you looking through the shield or over it?

Do you think the straight 14" will be too short for someone 6'?
I'm still looking comfortably over it and I'd still go for the 16" at 6'. My shield probably wouldn't have required as much futzing around if I were a few inches shorter.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job. Can't understand why they don't come like that from windvest or the other manufacturers.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
jgass
Stage I

Eric,
By far this is the best looking windshield for the Fat Bob and I would like to put on my 2011 bob. If you don't mind could you tell which WindVest model did you use and how did you make the cuts?
Thank you,
JGass

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jgass
Eric,
By far this is the best looking windshield for the Fat Bob and I would like to put on my 2011 bob. If you don't mind could you tell which WindVest model did you use and how did you make the cuts?
Thank you,
JGass
Mine is the 14" shield. I used a jigsaw and then sanded the edges. Also had to drill new holes to move it lower on the brackets.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MotoLocoPats 2010 FatBob & Windvest windscreen

I added the windvest windscreen onto my new FatBob after riding it to Daytona 1300 miles in two days..... no Trailer Trash here! I'd pretty well planned on getting one and when running across the Windvest folks on my way out of town I decided there was not time like the present. That or get ready for holding onto the Fatbob again at 75-85MPH as I did halve the time on my trip to Daytona.

I'm pretty sure I went with the 16" version over the 14". I preferred the looks of the 14" but with the long trip home and the fact that my plans are to lower it another inch by drilling another set of holes in it then cutting it out a bit for the headlights figured that the 16" would be just about perfect height in the end.

I'm 6'3" and was wearing a full face helmet on the way home. After the fast and furious 650 miles a day for two days ride to Daytona I took my time going home but still racked up 400 miles one day and the others were 300-350. The windscreen made a huge difference. The top of the screen is about neck/bottom of helment high on me so I am clearly looking out over the windscreen with it not obstructing view until about 15 beet in front of bike.
Pre-Screen..... I could comfortably run about 65-70MPH for extended time/tank of gas before the windscreen. Anything above that speed and I was either starting to feel like a flag flapping in the breeze or I had to start doing a Scott Parker imitation of leaning into the bars and tucking behind the risers.... probably not real effective for me at 6'3" 220lbs.
Post-Screen
Other than my legs needing another place to go every 15 minutes my upper body was pretty comfy behind the Windvest from 60-80MPH and it felt to me like 90MPH was a real sweet spot as the Windvest was then punching about the perfect size hole through the air for me! At 100MPH the FatBob is hunkered down and while reaching the upper end of it's comfort zone behind the Windvest I was still in a nice comfortable position with no obstractions of dealing with wind or holding or tucking in... just dealing with operations of the mighty Fatbob

The tankbag that I was running with probably helped at keeping a fairly still airpocket between me and the windshield...???
It, a small fannypack, the windshield pouch and a low bag on the frame were all I had to carry clothes/electronics.

All in all I was real happy with ability to be able to cruise easily at the 75-85MPH range that I like (conditions permitting of course)
I also added a set of Sylvania Lightbulbs into the Fatbobs dual headlights and they seemed to match up well allowing giving enough light to fell pretty safe running around 80MPH down a dark highway.

Also got one of the little small windshield bags they offer. It is a nice quality leather and fits great.

Here is a link to an album with a set of photos showing the windscreen...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...10-fatbob.html

Attached Thumbnails Windvest on a Fat Bob-motolocopat-2010fatbob-windvest-1-red.jpg   Windvest on a Fat Bob-motolocopat-2010fatbob-windvest-2-red.jpg   Windvest on a Fat Bob-motolocopat-2010fatbob-windvest-4-red.jpg  

Last edited by motolocopat; 03-22-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

My windvest is the one accessory I saved from my low rider....LOVE IT!