Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping My Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 AM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCS'ing I had a Kawaskai Vulcan shipped 10 years ago, it made it fine but I had to ride up in the truck where they strapped to the side with my Household items, if it was my Harley I would prefer a pallet. There is a http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/ that ships conus for approximately $500 depending on where you are going. Ask TMO if it is reimbursable.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have shipped bikes through the military on three PCS moves. As stated before make sure you get a good pre-inspection and make sure you are **** and take lots of pics when you receive your goods. I have had very minimal damage done to mine and the shipping company took care of it right away. But no matter how well they pack the bike it will not guarantee that it will arrive safely. A friend of mine received his Fat Boy while in Hawaii and the delivery guy had it strapped to the back of the truck. But it was not wheels down! It was standing up on the end of the crate. To get it off the truck they just pushed it over! Lots of damage was done as the straps did not hold it enough to stand on the end of the crate.

For those saying ride, it is kind of hard to ride it when you are PCS'ing (moving) to an overseas site.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
Thanks for the input from everyone. I talked to some people at work today who had their bikes shipped in the past. It seems like it really comes down to the company I get assigned. I am going to have to give them a call and see if they will supply a crate. If not, I will have one ready.

Again, thanks.
Upgrayed; I'm guessing you're at Offutt...?? If you have any choice in carrier - get "Ford Van Lines." They're pretty much the co. that moves all brass on General's Row and are the best w/shipping prep & moving (thus, reason for moving top dogs). Also, demand a separate crate for your bike, or go to Holstein's & Dillon Bros. to see if they're willing to supply a crate. A final option would be to get your own materials and build shipping stand...wouldn't be hard - craft good floor/frame & use eye-bolts for tie-downs. Then frame it in - this ensure's your bike's not going to get stacked w/other moving stuff. Good luck!

I moved a bike fm CA to ND once & vowed to never do it again. First the mover failed to bring bike w/HHG's (claimed they didn't see one) & when it was finally delivered - dusty/dirty & someone rubbed dust off tank w/hand (scratched). It pretty much boild down to - they don't care to you need to prepare...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Mke sure you let the moving Company know in advance that you are shipping a bike. I did when we PCS'd to Germany. They brought out a crate and packed it up very well. Also ensure you have your fluids drained as per regulations, or the battery disconnected before they show up like I did and you'll be ready to ride when you get where you're going. lol. Know watching the movers uload my bike in the ice and snow on a "ramp" they made on the spot, that was the longest breathe I have ever held...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just let the movers handle it and then do a good inspection on the other end. I've been moving around with the military since 1988.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

One of the guys that works for me had his Rocker shipped back to the States from Italy. The shipping company covered his bike in bubble wrap. Said it left little circles all over the paint and had to have a shop buff it out, so don't let them do that. Some others I've talked to here said to make sure its strapped down right and have the rest of the crate filled with shipping blankets, that's what I'd do. Getting a crate from an HD dealer sounds like a good idea, I'd check into that. Lucky for me, I'm not planning to leave here anytime soon, so I don't plan on shipping my bike.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 12-09-2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer pallets

Originally Posted by HDDyna2006
No experience myself, however try going over HD dealer and get shipping container/pallet from them, they usually throw those away since buyer pays for shipping charges.

That is an excellent idea. The nearest dealer to me, Highroads Harley-Davidson in Highland Park, NJ - usually has a pile of the shipping pallets outside as they are one time use only. At worst you'd have to buy some 1/2" or 3/8" plywood to make a box around the base that the bike is strapped in.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Oregon Deuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a small harley dealership And ive seen hundreds of bikes either coming or going out from his shop. It looks like the safest but more expensive way is on a pallet

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts
Default H-D shipping rack

Found these images of a H-D shipping rack using Google;
This rack is currently for sale at Graigslist

This Honda was shipped using a H-D shipping rack: