Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED fuel gauge install questions for Dyna owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:31 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED fuel gauge install questions for Dyna owners

Today I picked up a six shooter LED fuel gauge to match the six shooter gas cap. I took it home and figured it couldn't be too hard to install...and if it was, I'm having a lot of work done on my bike this week at the dealer...I could just have them do it. That said, if I could install it myself, I'd save a couple bucks in labor fees, so I'm hoping you guys can help.
I'm posting this question here because apparently (according to the instructions) this particular LED fuel gauge has a step that is specific to the dyna models.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the instructions were talking about for the most of the steps in this install...especially the removal of the OE gauge. First of all, do I really need to disconnect the negative battery terminal. I didn't disconnect it when I changed the horn cover (and had to remove the wires from the horn)

Anyway, moving on...so I found the wire underneath the tank....the instructions say to bend the clip that holds the wires so that there is enough slack to lift out the existing gauge. OK..think I got that. Then it says to open the harness clamp on the frame to free the conduit. I'm not sure what the harness clamp is...

Next it says to draw the multilock connector out of the tunnel. I'm starting to think that this is impossible without a shop manual....what the f**k is the multilock???...or the tunnel??? Holy $hit!!! I assume the multilock is also known as the "pin housing" (shown in the parts list)...and tunnel??? How would I know that. There certainly isn't a picture of this!

Now it says to depress the pin on the socket terminal side of the connector and pull apart the pin and socket halves. Once again...what the f**k? There's no picture illustrating how to do this. These instructions really suck.

So far, I don't really understand these directions, but other than the last thing about pulling apart the socket halves, I think I have an idea of what they're talking about. I was able to free the wires from the clip and pull the wire and pin housing (multilock connector?) out a little so that I can get a hold of it. But now I think I'm supposed to do something with this pin housing...remove wires?? Not sure.

So before I can attempt to install the new gauge, I have to get the old one out..which I haven't done....so no point in moving ahead. But still, I read the instructions, and in looking at them, I have a feeling I'll have even more trouble with this than I would removing the stock gauge.

The first part of the installation instructions just mention connecting the wires to the gauge itself....it's all color coded...easy peasy...Ok..no problem. But then it says to lower the gauge into place...while feeding the wires down into the drain tube. I assume the drain tube goes all the way through the tank up to the existing gauge. Of course, the instructions aren't more specific....but why would they be. That would be too easy.

Next is the instruction set that explains connecting the different wires to the (new) pin housing. Once again...looks pretty simple...it, too, is all color coded...so no problem....until...we get to the long gray wire. The instructions say that the gray wire will replace the Yellow/White wire found in the instrument assembly connector (dyna models)....wait..WHAT!!! What the hell is the instrument assembly connector. Once again..nothing in these friggin instructions as to where this is. Reading on, it says to refer to the service manual to gain access to this instrument assembly. Well...that's great. Don't have a service manual. Perhaps I need a shoe horn or a coat hanger too...but I wouldn't know it from these instructions.

Anyway...sorry about the long post. I'd sure love to hear from some other dyna owners who have installed one of these things. Is this as complicated as I'm thinking it is? I really wish the parts guy would've been able to tell me more about the install w

Old 09-25-2006, 01:12 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED fuel gauge install questions for Dyna owners

popped mine out and in 15 mins at the most its pretty straight forward YES U MUST dissconet the negitive from the battery thats a must anytime u are messing with the electrical system its started in almost every chapter of the service manual

Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: veniculum

.................................................. ..............................
First of all, do I really need to disconnect the negative battery terminal.
.................................................. ..............................
I'm not sure what the harness clamp is...
.what the f**k is the multilock???...or the tunnel??? Holy $hit!!!
I assume the multilock is also known as the "pin housing" (shown in the parts list)
...and tunnel??? How would I know that.
Now it says to depress the pin on the socket terminal side of the connector
and pull apart the pin and socket halves.
These instructions really suck.
But now I think I'm supposed to do something with this pin housing
...remove wires?? Not sure.
Is this as complicated as I'm thinking it is?
I appreciate any advise you guys can give me.
Todd
It's not as complicated as you think Todd, just territory you are not familiar with.

Hardest part is removing the pin terminals from the pin housing.

Pin housing is one half of the multilock connector. Socket housing is the other half.

I'm good at removing the terminals now, there is a learning curve.

Yeah, remove the negative battery terminal anytime you fork around with the wiring.
A good habit, two screws does it. One slip up w/o removing can cost you big bux/headaches.

yeah, get a shop manual. Not very shiny, but a great asset.

As much $$$$ as you spend at your friendly dealer,
I would suggest asking them to let you watch on the gauge install.

That would initiate you for future tunneling, harnessing, etc.

Let me know if you want me to scan the 2-3 pertinent pages for you.

mud

Old 09-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Crazy03
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the led gauge and flush mount gas cap on my street bob about 4 months ago. I used the kit from Harley that is for ther "softtail" models. It is very easy. I did not remove the battery cable. The stock gauge pops out very easy just pull. I cut the wires you can take the pins out if you want. I slipped the led gauge in, fed the wires through the drain hole and basically connected the wires how they were on the stock gauge. Works fine and took about 5 minutes. I dont know if this helps but hopefully it does.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:08 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removal of the battery cable is to prevent any electrical sparks, not good if you're working with the gas cap off and to prevent other electrical shorts.
Don't take any short cuts. Had a friend light himself up years ago while working on his mini-bike.
I like to keep a fire extinguisher handy while I work on the gas tank.