Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems - Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Sapper-0503
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems - Sanity Check

2007 FXDB Dyna Street Bob
During a ride the other day, my clutch control went limp and the cable had no tension. I had adjusted the clutch a week prior to this incident - so I assume I caused this failure.
1. examined the clutch release plate - ball is properly seated.
2. examined clutch cable - not bent or broke
3. examined clutch cable adjuster - still locked in set position
4. examined clutch adjuster screw, locking nut, and plate - seem fine
5. transmission and primary fluids at correct levels
I performed another adjustment and was able to correct the loss of tension but when I went to test ride - the gears were not engaging? I am hoping that this is due to me screwing in the clutch adjuster screw to far causing the clutch pack to be in a constant disengaged state? I say hope cause it would be an easy fix to just re-adjust.
My main question though is if all seemed well, what would cause the cable to lose all tension on the fly?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 AM
steveatxtreme
6th Gear

My 09 fxdb did the same thing. The jam nut on the clutch adjusting Allen came loose. just looking at it , it looked good but I put a wrench on it and it was very loose. So I re adjusted it and re tightened it and now it's fine.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapper-0503
2007 FXDB Dyna Street Bob
During a ride the other day, my clutch control went limp and the cable had no tension. I had <............> ?
It almost sounds like the cable is not releasing (binding). Did you try spraying some lubricant down the cable? Also possibly down under the bike has possibly a bike lift pad at some time pinched the cable in an area that is hard to see?
Also looking into the inspection hole what happens when you pull on the cable lever, do you see any movement?

By the way, that is an interesting user name. Are you possibly an Army Sapper of the Leonard Wood Sapper school ?

Last edited by R_W_B; 11-24-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steveatxtreme
My 09 fxdb did the same thing. The jam nut on the clutch adjusting Allen came loose. just looking at it , it looked good but I put a wrench on it and it was very loose. So I re adjusted it and re tightened it and now it's fine.
Ditto on this idea. Break open your derby and verify that your set screw is properly adjusted. If you don't have a manual, the procedure is the following:

1. Loosen the cable at the cable adjuster completely
  2. Pop open the derby cover and loosen the 11/16" jam nut locking the set screw
  3. Turn the set screw in until it just bottoms out, then back off 1/2 to 1 turn
    1. (for those who like to move their friction zone, this is where to do it, the closer you are to bottoming out, the closer your friction zone is to the hand grip)
  4. Tighten the jam nut while holding the set screw with an allen key to prevent movement.
  5. Adjust the clutch cable and work the lever a couple of times to set the ramp and ball
  6. Final adjustment of clutch cable to obtain (I think, off the top of my head) 1/8-3/16" gap between housing and cable ferrule at the lever
  7. Close up the derby cover and test ride.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a note, Albert Einstein also said, "make things as simple as possible...but not simpler.."

Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Sapper-0503
Advanced

Thanks for the ideas, yes I am a former Sapper from Ft Leonard Wood. I spent most time with the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Sapper-0503
Advanced

So after work yesterday, I had the apiphany, thunderstruck at the simplicity of the problem and solution to my dilema. The original cause of my problem must have been that the locknut on the adjuster screw on the clutch pack had come loose causing the adjuster screw to move away from the clutch pack. This created the so called major slippage of the clutch cable and lever since there wasnt enough tension on the clutch pack for the components to make contact. When I re-adjusted, I over compensated by inserting the adjuster screw to far into the clutch pack, which caused to much tension on the components leaving the clutch pack in a constant engaged state thus producing no results when shifting. Following your instructions on properly adjusting the clutch produced positive results. Everything is much gooder now. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapper-0503
Thanks for the ideas, yes I am a former Sapper from Ft Leonard Wood. I spent most time with the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg.
Glad to hear you got the problem solved.

My Stepson was in the 82nd for about 8yrs. He served in the 10th mountain division in Afganistan back in 2005. Too many jumps messed his knees and shoulders up and he is in an Amored unit now out at Ft. Hood, working on his 16th yr.

I took AIT at Leonard Wood, beautiful country up there. Served 15 mo's in Viet Nam in 1970-71 as a combat Engineer. Was stationed part of the tour with the 1st I.D. at Lai Kai and the helped build fire bases for the Cambodian incursion. Did my share of working with Dynamite and C-4. Don't know if they even had a sapper school back then, but I have seen it on the military channel. It (as you well know)is a very elite and tough program to go thru.
Later.....R_W_B

Last edited by R_W_B; 11-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Sapper-0503
Advanced

I thank you both for your service -freedom isnt free, all give some and some give all.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 AM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Glad to hear you got the problem solved.

I took AIT at Leonard Wood, beautiful country up there. Served 15 mo's in Viet Nam in 1970-71 as a combat Engineer. Was stationed part of the tour with the 1st I.D. at Lai Kai and the helped build fire bases for the Cambodian incursion. Did my share of working with Dynamite and C-4. Don't know if they even had a sapper school back then, but I have seen it on the military channel. It (as you well know)is a very elite and tough program to go thru.

Later.....R_W_B
RWB: Who were you with ?? I was in both Dian and Lai Khe with the BRO as a combat engineer. B Co. 1st Engr Bn back in 67-68

Welcome Home

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems - Sanity Check