Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems - Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapper-0503
I thank you both for your service -freedom isnt free, all give some and some give all.
And thanks to you my friend and fellow Vet. You are of an elite segment of Vets. The Army Sapper school is the Combat Engineer equivalent of Invantry Special Opps. I watched the whole segment on the military channel. I am so impressed with today's military. They are so much more professional and of high character than the mostly draftee's of my day. I only joined because I would have been drafted anyhow, it pretty much only hastened the inevitable. The military had some low morale issues back then.

But please don't get me wrong, I love and respect all of those "draftees" from back then just as much as the new guys now. We had a different scenario then but they all did their job when called on. In a combat zone we had to since we all depended on each other.

If China called in all our loans and crippled our financial power, I would still go side by side with any of those old draftees and march into the green tracers knowing I was dying with the best. Sorry don't mean to ramble. In closing I would like to say the Viet Cong (our enemy in Nam) was respected by us as well. They were some of the best sappers I have ever seen. They could get thru 3 rows of razor wire at night (with bells tied to the wire) get inside the compound, set their charges and be gone before they ever exploded.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Post Great to hear from you!

Originally Posted by wescoot2
RWB: Who were you with ?? I was in both Dian and Lai Khe with the BRO as a combat engineer. B Co. 1st Engr Bn back in 67-68 Welcome Home
Ummmm, 68, where you there during the Tet offensive ? Did they have the chopper port built much back then ?
I was with Charlie Co. 554th Eng. Bat. attached to 20th Eng Brigade. Our battalion was base camped at Lai Kai in 1970 when I got there. The 1st I.D. was just past our mess hall and EM Club. Don't know about 1968 but in 70 Lai Khe (you had the correct spelling, pronounced "lie kay") was a pretty good size base (not as big as Long Binh) but had quite a few units there. Had the assault chopper squadron there too (which is why we got those 122 rockets ever now and again). Charlie Co. was kinda the "do whatever" Co of the battalion. Delta Co was a Truck unit and did a lot of convoy runs back to Long Binh. The 554th built (and occupied) 3 Fire Bases along QL 13 (thunder road) right up to the Cambodian border when the 11th Armored Cav was in Cambodia. Then after the Cambodian incursion our battalion (554th) moved up QL 20 to the south highlands (had mountains just like North Carolina) to a place about 20 miles south of Bao Loc (about 90 miles or so from Long Binh). There Charlie Co (us) were stationed alone by ourselves (except an ARVN compound next to us) and separate from the rest of the Battalion for the rest of my tour. We had one 11 Bravo Recon Platoon that lived with us then. I was friends with a couple of those guys. Even saw one after we got back in the world. The few times I got picked to ride on convoy to Long Binh always enjoyed some good times at the 2nd Field Force Club there. Put a lot of good whiskey down there. Man I am getting old. Good to hear from you.
Later......R_W_B

Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RWB,

Yep, I was fortunate enough to be there during the Tet Offensive. Since my birthday is the 25th of January, I thought they were throwing me one hell of a party.

The chopper pad was just being built, and expanded upon during my time frame. Speaking of Rockets, we would get hit with 122's constantly, and hitting the trees would create air bursts, shrapnel rained down for sure. Matter of fact, it was during that time frame that Lai Khe became known as Rocket City.

As far as size goes, Lai Khe was a work in progress, each time we would go out into the bush, when returning, we'd get lost with all the new hutches that were built.

Thunder road brings back a few thoughts, mainly clearing the road for the convoys.

Last note.man we're BOTH getting old....LOL

Respects

Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Originally Posted by wescoot2
RWB, Last note.man we're BOTH getting old....LOL Respects
Great to hear back from ya guy. Rocket City, I had actually forgot that term.
A little bit before I got in country one of our company's hooches was taken out by 122. Nobody was in it though. When you heard that whisling sound in the air, you knew to get low or if possible into one of the bunkers. It kinda made your guts feel like they were sucking inward to a small knot. I remember one night on guard duty one of the bunkers spotted movement outside the wire on the starlight and the Huey's went up with the miniguns. Sounded kinda like a Water Buffalo doing a continuous moan. Put on one heck of show. Any Charles that were there were either killed or left the area. Being on the same base as the choppers was a two edge sword. On the one hand it attracted a lot of rockets trying to take out the choppers. On the other hand if Charles tried to come in, he was met with awesome fire power from the air.
Ah heck a long time ago. Wish we had Bill Gate's money, we could all get together and fly back over there just to see what the place has become. My stepson (a career soldier on his 16th yr) out at Ft. Hood rides with the Patriot Guard. I want to, and plan to sign up but don't think they have a chapter in my Central Florida area. Not sure how all that works but want to find out. I will never forget the 58,479 that never made it back. Sorry to ramble, you know how old men are. Had my bike now for almost 4 months (bought it used). First bike I've had since 1975. My wife and I love it.
Later.....and back to Harleys, we love um don't we.

Last edited by R_W_B; 11-26-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RWB,

There are Patriot Guard Riders everywhere...... check out the website at www.patriotguard.org After you sign up, there are forums for each individual State. I'm sure you will find some in your area.

Ya'll take care, and once again..........Welcome Home