Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

easy answere read the instructions

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Deltran battery tender and hook it up to the bike anytime it is not being ridden.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
I have never used a battery charger on any vehicles while the battery was hooked up. So I am a bit concerned of hooking up a charger on my HD, but these bikes draw so much when they are cold they need topped off batteries on every ride.

Have any of you had any issues with burnt stators or other electrical components resulting from a Battery Tender Jr?
It shouldn't be a problem with the battery hooked up while it is in the bike. You can use the tender without removing the battery. I've been using them for years on many bikes and never a problem.

A burnt stator can usually be the result of a weak or defective battery because the stator is carrying the load that the battery should be carrying.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM
jupiter2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep - Deltran only, in my experience. I currently have three bikes hooked to them full time (one a six volt) and am about to buy another for my Wide Glide. I thought I would save a few bucks and use the Wal-Mart version last year, and it was nothing but hassle. First one never indicated full (green light) so I returned it. Second one did for a couple of weeks and stopped, so I returned it. Third one seemed to work fine - awesome! Until I tried to ride the bike in the fall and found that the almost new battery has been fried and all of the electrolyte boiled out - all the while the charger showing a happy green light!
Junked it and broke down and bought my third Deltran Battery Tender Plus and it has been keeping the battery healthy and fully charged ever since. I would never buy any other brand now and feel I don't even have to worry about it.
I learned the difference the hard way.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 4 walmart 20 dollar tenders they never let me down i have a few toys i have them hooked to including the riding mower. before them i had to replace my deltran 2 times with a 25ish dollar fee for it being out of warranty . last time that happen i just threw it out and went to walmart. never had an over charge problem i now leave it on the bike all the time.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You shouldn't even refer to the deltran as a battery charger. its a battery tender that is designed to maintain a batteries proper voltage. leave your battery installed, plug it in and forget about it.

Ive used the deltran for years without any problems. Also using the yuasa with no problems

Last edited by ynots; 11-24-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Recieved my Deltran Battery Tender Jr today , snagged it from ebay for 25 bux shipped.. Will install shortly and see for myself how well they work. Thanks to everybody who anwered my questions.