Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?

One of my riding buddy's has a 1997 Dyna Convertible. I was talking up all the guys doing the FLH style conversions on this forum and now he's interested. First thing he wants to know is the fork thing. What information can I give him about a set of 41mm forks that will both fit the Dyna neck as well as be drilled and tapped for the nacelle. My first thoughts were to tell him to buy an old Shovelhead set of FLH triple trees and just build it up from there. But I don't know if they will fit on the Dyna neck. Will they??? What else will fit and still have turning radius. I know I had a heck of a time fitting a Springer and getting turning radius! Is that even an issue with the hydraulic forks or is it a non issue? Please give me some info to pass on to the guy. He's pretty interested in getting a tinned up set of forks on his Dyna.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ackman1968 had the nacelle and removed it after a while ... it limited the adjustment of his headlight and he ended up reverting to the tins/shrouds ....

I did a write up on mine (think it is titled "began dismantling my narrow glide" or some such) ... also started a social group ... I've posted several links to a great website by a guy named Ken whose write up I used for mine ....

The nacelle might work on a Wide Glide which has a little more rake, but the rest of the Dyna lineup has 28* rake and that's not enough to use the nacelle ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Fat Boy front end.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Chop, I joined the section a while ago and was gonna post this up there but forgot. I was hoping Shovel trees might be the answer because they have negative rake from the factory. They are not zero or neutral like many trees and that sounded like a plus, but I don't know about turning radius. I'll check your writeup for sure.

Traveler, will fatboy trees bolt on a Dyna? If so that would be his answer. Get a stripped Fatboy front end and buy that aftermarket nacelle conversion....no?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

With more rake you would need longer tubes to help aim the headlight with a nachelle. WG already have 2" longer tubes than other Dynas and a 21" wheel. The Shovel triple may help some, but you would prob still need the adjustment of a Fat Boy style light.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, thats a big step. But I still want to know if fatboy or heritage trees will bolt to a Dyna and have turning radius?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe "Surfor" has fatboy forks. Same with "Ackman 68" I think that is his name on here.

I know Rick Doss makes an aftermarket nacelle available through Custom Chrome. That nacelle MIGHT fit on a standard wideglide tree arrangement, but not sure.

I am from the school of "modify to make it work"....so that means to me...buy the stuff and do what's necessary to make it fit and work.

P.S. Why are you selling your bike?

~joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-18-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Excellent. Yes, I agree with the make it work plan.
Nope, not for sale. Hopefully not for many years to come.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Your sig says $6500

Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

OH, Son of a B..... I have an evil wife, thats all I can say about that.

But its fixed now, thanks.

Quick Reply: FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?