Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
OH, Son of a B..... I have an evil wife, thats all I can say about that.

But its fixed now, thanks.
LOL! Are you kidding or did she seriously mess with your sig???

Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Yes, she seriously messed with my sig. I use the same password for just about everything I do and she knows it. And she knows I just bought a new rear fender for my bike. Yet she asks me repeatedly.....I thought you said you were done spending money on the bike....and so on.....and so on..... And your truely says stupid $hit like, no honey, if I spend any more money on it, it will be to sell it.

Then this stuff happens.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe any post-'00 FLSTF/C/N (i.e., Fat Boy, Heritage, or Deluxe) triple trees will bolt on the Dyna frame with two modifications with a grinder ... (i) cut off/down the block on the front of the frame that is the fork stop for the Dyna trees, (ii) the inner faces of the lower triple tree from the bolt-on forks must be ground down to clearance the down tubes on the Dyna frame ....

The tins bolt on the tapped holes on the outer edges of the triple trees ... same mounting method for the nacelle, but I think you have to use the 'freight train' nacelle made for the Softail ....

Still think you have an issue with aiming the headlamp due to the difference in rake between the Softail and Dyna ... this was discussed by ackman1968, who removed his nacelle for that reason ...

Also, I understand using neck bearing cups with additional rake adds space between the upper and lower triple trees ... seems to me that would screw up alignment between the upper and lower mounting points ... so would seem to be a no-go ....

HawgPro, I think, produces a set of raked trees for the FLST series that might work; but, I understand they're a little spendy ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, I thought the bike in question was a WG. I reread first post. Bike is a Convertible. I don't know what front end is on the bike stock.
What Chop just said and posted. You gotta grind the stops on the lower tree.
On a Shovel the distance between the top and bottom tree when mounted is about an inch closer than a Softail. A little of that distance is the washer you have to use on the lower tree under the bearing on the '06 and up Dyna. I have a Shovel fairing on my '07 Street Bob. I had to add to the top of my Shovel bracket to have the top mounting holes line up with the top tree. My tree is off a Fat Boy or Heritage.

Attached Thumbnails FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?-100_1237.jpg  

Last edited by U-234; 11-18-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes! That was what I needed to see. I had a feeling there was going to be issues as that was EXACTLY what I had to do to my DNA Springer when I put that on my bike. The pictures are very helpful. Now we can get together and figure out what he needs to buy. Not sure about raked trees verses cups. How much would either effect the nacelle mounting? That will be a final hurdle I guess. But at least theres a place to start now that we know we can get the forks on the bike. I think if he makes the determination that Fatboy tins are the only option he'll not do the swap. He sold his Heritage to buy the current Dyna because he disliked that style headlight THAT much. Thanks for all the replies. The forum comes threw once again.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

This post has some discussion of the issue by Rick (ackman1968) ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6944400-post80.html

Might be worth taking a look at ...

R/
'Chop

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Still think you have an issue with aiming the headlamp due to the difference in rake between the Softail and Dyna ... this was discussed by ackman1968, who removed his nacelle for that reason ...

HawgPro, I think, produces a set of raked trees for the FLST series that might work; but, I understand they're a little spendy ....

R/
'Chop
Here's my experience with the nacelle. I purchased one for the FL Softail and mounted it on my Fat Boy front end. Since his is pre 2006 some issues will not present themselves. Due to the new frame design the trees are about 1/4"-3/8" farther apart than they would be on a FL Softy which neccesitated elongating the mounting holes.

I also had to open it up in the rear to keep it from pinching the wires where they exit the neck. It may have been just fine with out that mod, how often do you ride at full lock? I didn't want to take the chance so I made room. I rode most of the year like that but very rarely did I ride past dusk so the adjustment took time to rear it's ugly head.

As fall came and the days got shorter I started to notice where the headlight hit the road. I am not exagerating when I say it was concentrating the beam about 15' in front of me. Once I had adjusted it as far as it would go I had nearly 1/2" of the retaining ring out past the trim ring on the bottom of the nacelle. With that much of the adjustment taken up it still fell short (in my opinion) of safe night riding. I could run with the high beam on and it was more like what the low beam should have been.

This is just my experience with it but if it saves someone from spending $300.00 only to be dis-appointed I'll gladly share. Hell if I still had the nacelle I'd send it so he could try it out. It's living the good life on a Fat Boy now.

edit....Forgot to mention I had that thing off many times hopeing to be able to "tweak" it some way to make up for the difference in rake but it fits the trees one way and only one way. Any change would look all forked up if you could get it to mount.

Last edited by ackman1968; 11-18-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. The problems you speak of with aiming the light is why my first thoughts were to use a Shovelhead nacelle and trees. I believe Shovels have the same 29 or 30 degree necks as Dyna's. My thought was to start off with the Shovel trees, buy the Shovel nacelle and just slip a set of stock length 41mm tubes in it and be done. Seems more work than that, doesn't it.

I'm so glad I have a fully chromed out Springer on MY bike!

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-18-2010 at 10:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kayu (01-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder if you could use the Shovel's nacelle with the newer trees......Maybe it has different geometry and would work. Would sure love to have one back on the bike!

Kayu (01-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ackman1968
... Would sure love to have one back on the bike!
I have serious doubts that the shovel-type nacelle would work ... what is driving the fitment is top-to-bottom dimension of the steering head on the Dyna frame ....

Rick - time for radical surgery ... you are just going to have to cut the steering head off to add about 3* of rake ...!

R/
'Chop

Kayu (01-20-2023)

Quick Reply: FLH forks & nacelle on a Dyna?