Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob windshield - Beard Slappin' Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
baldu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob windshield - Beard Slappin' Fun!

I just returned from my first ride after installing a detachable windshield on my Fat Bob.

I rock a long-ish beard. It's not ZZ Top long, but it's about 3-4 inches from my chin. Getting repeatedly smacked on the nose and cheeks by my own facial hair was a completely unexpected side-effect of riding behind the windshield. Turns out it's not all that much fun and a mirror check at a stoplight verified that I looked completely ridiculous with my beard laying every which way except the way it is supposed to. I'm used to looking a little windblown after a ride, but jeez.

Maybe I'll have to go all Captain Lou or something. But I ain't shavin'

Also, I got more helmet buffeting than I had hoped. I think I'd have a good headache going after an hour of freeway riding. I'm, 6'3" and I usually wear a 3/4 lid. I've got a C&C Fastback that sits slightly lower than stock. Does anybody with a similar build have any ideas? I know Cee Bailey's makes a replacement shield that I'd be more than happy to purchase if I knew it would work.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Trippster
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude I hear ya. Did the same thing with my Wide Glide. It was nice not having the wind hitting your body full on, but the wind blowing up from below pushing my beard straight out and going up my jacket was to much for me. I would rather deal the full frontal wind, so I ditched the windshield.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here as you guys... the only thing I've come up with is a bandanna over the chin with the pointy part tucked in.
But I like my 3/4 helmet & face shield best, the windshield is only for overnight trips.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 AM
hoops928
Tourer

Baldu, I'm the same size, I normally wear a shorty, but bought a Fulmer modular helment for the cold which seems to work pretty good. Rode about 200 miles over the weekend, and my face was much warmer than my bud's with windshields and shortys.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

tie your beard up.

first time i took my bike out after growing my beard real long (was away at school) i got back to the house and it took me about 2 days to get that f*ckin thing to lay flat again.

started throwin a chick's hair-tie in it before i left the house and never had that problem again.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 AM
dan z
Advanced

baldu, I just sent you a PM.
I have a short light smoked shield only that will fit your hardware. I took it off mine and will sell for 50.00 if it will work for you.
Dan

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
baldu
Advanced

Dan, thanks, but I don't think the short shield would help me.

I've heard of the Aerovest (Jack's Flaps) that is supposed to solve this, but the leather vest would funny over the textile jacket I ride with.

Maybe a set of lowers would do the trick. I was unsure about putting the shield on in the first place, so I'm a little leery of adding even more stuff.

Last edited by baldu; 11-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baldu
Dan, thanks, but I don't think the short shield would help me.

I've heard of the Aerovest (Jack's Flaps) that is supposed to solve this, but the leather vest would funny over the textile jacket I ride with.

Maybe a set of lowers would do the trick. I was unsure about putting the shield on in the first place, so I'm a little leery of adding even more stuff.
Have the same problem above 65mph on my Fat Bob. The Aerovest might not solve your problem. Find a straight stretch of road, get up to the speed where helmet buffetting starts and then lay your left arm across your chest to simulate the flaps on the aerovest. I did this and it made no difference so no aerovest for me. Next thing I have to try is a Laminar Liphttp://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php

Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be an option.

http://www.jacksflaps.com/

Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
baldu
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I went for a ride today without the windshield and it was so much more enjoyable than the buffeting and facial hair flailing. Even on the freeway. I'd rather feel tired from battling the wind than have a headache and blurred vision caused by the buffeting.

I'm still hoping to make it work.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob windshield - Beard Slappin' Fun!