Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob windshield - Beard Slappin' Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a woman, I do not have the beard issue - my husband says thanks God - but I do have a suggestions that I didn't see here. I have noticed a huge difference in wind buffering depending on where I put my windshield on my streetbob. When I first put the shield on the burrering was horrid. My half helmet would pull right up off my hear and my headaches were terrible. I moved my shield down an inch or so on accident after washing my bike and not paying attention and it made an amazing difference. Before you give up on the shield or go spend more $$ that you could spend on other parts you might give it a shot. Made a difference to me.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
dynageno
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Makes sense to me

Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, minor adjustments go along way when it comes to windshields. Tinker with placement and you may find a decent pocket of air behind it.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One word, Windvest. I rode my FXR from Anchorage to Los Angeles with just a WV. It's not full coverage, but takes the bite off the chest & face without the buffeting. 50mph side gusts though the Columbia River Gorge is another story though.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
baldu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I ended up returning the shield. Tiffany at grharley.com (I purchased it from them through eBay) has been great and seemed to empathize about the beard-tornado and said they'll do what they can. I'm hoping I don't get hit with a restocking fee, but I knew the risk I was taking when I ordered it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There seemed to be a quite limited range of adjustments I could make. The dual headlights on my Fat Bob only left about 1/2"-3/4" of vertical range. I would have tried it, but was worried I'd get a chip or scratch while riding that would make returning it impossible.

I ordered a Windvest instead. For some reason, I had seen it before and decided not to try it based on looks, but after looking again I'm not sure what I was thinking. It seems to have a greater range of adjustment, too. I ordered the 16" based on Windvest's recommendation for taller guys.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
dynageno
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Le t us know how the WV works out for you. We have a 08 Fat Bob that is my wife's and been thinking about something I could put on and remove when I ride it. She won't have a windshield at all. Stubborn that way.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
baldu
Advanced

Originally Posted by dynageno
Let us know how the WV works out for you.
Will do.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
09DynaRyder
Advanced

I have the compact quick detach shield that I have used 3 times with 3 different styles of helmet and the vibration I get in the helmets is just crazy. I wanted a shield to stop rocks and stuff from bouncing off my helmet on the freeway but the helmet bouncing on my skull is even worse because it never ends until I'm under 45 mph.

I have tried adjusting the Quick Release shield high - low and all possible angles with no noticeable improvements.

I prefer the 3/4 helmet and I really want to know if the bat-wing fairing from Memphis Shades creates similar helmet rattling. Anyone have that answer?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
baldu
Advanced

Here's the thread I started on the Windvest:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...a-fat-bob.html

Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my windshield on for about 6 or 7 thousand miles and it's been great. It's my daily ride to work and I don't have any problems. In fact with my 3/4 helmet with face shield i've noticed a reduction in neck pain. I have to admit i thought I was having a problem with my engine since the reduced wind noise made it sound louder