Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2003 Dyna low rider owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
clc3251
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to me 2003 Dyna low rider owner looking for advice

I searched the various threads and I am still looking for advice on a few issues. I recently purchased a 2003 Dyna low rider that is all stock as far as I can tell except for some chrome added. I am 6'2" with a bad right knee and simply cannot tolerate the mid controls. My right hip/leg actually cramped up during the 10 mile ride from the old owners house to mine. The stock highway pegs feel about right as far as foot placement. I do not want to use the factory highway pegs and shift/brake with my heels. The stock seat feels fine, but I would like to sit a little further back and have some lower back support if possible. Since my wife is still not speaking to me after purchasing my third motorcycle, a solo seat is a viable option. I would like to add some detachable saddle bags, but low profile ones. I don't need a lot of storage, but some would be nice. I would prefer to keep my stock turn signal location, but that's not a deal breaker. I like the look of the factory synthetics, but these look pretty good and look like they will allow me to keep my turn signals.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=507445&mmy=

Given my situation, what would you recommend as far as:
1. What forward controls will give me foot peg placement as close to the factory highway pegs as possible? HD? Aftermarket? Extended?
2. What seat will give me a seating position a little further back and a little lower back support? No detachable backrest, just a farther back seat with a little lower back support.
3. Detachable saddle bags? Prefer plain rigid ones.

Thanks in advance. Great forum. Here's the new bike:

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

(Since my wife is still not speaking to me). Is that a good thing or a bad thingl??

Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
crazy ray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking machine, really clean. Can't help you with the leg reach, I'm only 5'6". Someone on this site will help or search for other comments in the Dyna fourms.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice bike. I would get the factory forward control kit. I don't have them but have a friend who tried an aftermarket kit and it gave him nightmares. Ended up with the factory kit. I would get the part number and order it from Zannotis HD and save a few bucks. As for the seat moving you back try looking at the Corbin seats. Lots of tall guys get those.

Look here: http://www.corbin.com/harley/dyna/dyna360.shtml

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 11-16-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!
She looks pretty neat, some remarks on the bike being stock, though:

IMO stock FXDL didn't come with dual front disk brakes and brake rotors look like they're not stock as well.

As to your seat:

I ride solo on my FXD2003 and have an FXDP solo seat. Check my album for some images.

As to the H-D forward control kit: check my Instruction Sheet database and you'll find the p/n plus a link to the pdf file.

For the long runs I mount a set of FXDP Hardbags & Chopped tour trunk .

Enjoy your bike & ride safe,

Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great looking ride. Love the dual front disks. Wish I had them.

I would consider the Kuryakyn Extended Forwards. I am 6'1 and have the regular forwards. I wish I would have bought the extendeds. They would be closer to the stock highway pegs. They are reasonably priced at around $300 from many places like American Classic Motors and Eastern Performance on eBay.

As far as the seat, I have the Mustang Tripper Solo. Not too bad on the rear but it has no support whatsoever. The stock seat was more comfortable to me.

I haven't found a detachable set of bags that I like yet. I don't want to fool with relocating my turn signals again so that limits me a bunch.

Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
clc3251
Advanced
Default Stock items

OK, I have been told that there are a few items on the bike that are not stock. Specifically the exhaust, horn, headlight cover, laydown plate holder, dual front disks and the skull emblems on various parts of the bike. Anything else jump out at you guys as non-stock? There is a lot of chrome on it, which I thought was factory, but a harley owning friend of mine says a lot of it is replaced. These are pics that the seller took and one shows the straight up plate holder and one has the laydown holder, which is what is currently on the bike. Here is the other side:

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,857 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The Lowriders came with a lot of chrome on the engines and side covers (primary, cam chest cover, etc.) the forward control kit (p/n-49080-03A) is a direct fit , its the same controls used on that year's Wide glide. Very sharp looking L/R. The lower belt cover and rear sprocket aren't usually chromed so those look like add ons.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
clc3251
Advanced

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The Lowriders came with a lot of chrome on the engines and side covers (primary, cam chest cover, etc.) the forward control kit (p/n-49080-03A) is a direct fit , its the same controls used on that year's Wide glide. Very sharp looking L/R. The lower belt cover and rear sprocket aren't usually chromed so those look like add ons.
Harley lists a different part number for Dyna models (49080-06A) but it is listed for 06 and up. I can't find a listing or a reference for the 49080-03A kit fitting the 03 FXDL. Is that the 3 at the end of the part #? Just want to make sure I get the right kit.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 PM
goblin127
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. Someone did some nice things to that ride.

Quick Reply: New to me 2003 Dyna low rider owner looking for advice