Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2003 Dyna low rider owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 PM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the factory forward controls

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
clc3251
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This seat looks tempting

Wide Touring Vintage Solo Seat with Driver Backrest - Harley-Davidson Dyna Glide 1996-2003, No Studs, No Conchos

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1210

Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,196 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Very nice bike, congrats. I recently got back into riding, and picked up the bike pictured in my sig, this past weekend I got to spend a lot of time on it with the wife. I'm 6'4", I have a bad lower back, right hip...and my right leg wasn't feeling good after spending a lot of time bent 90 degrees over the brake pedal. I don't even have highway pegs yet. So I'm sharing your desire for forward controls..and I'll be eyeballing this thread.

To ask a probably stupid question, is there a difference between forward controls, and extended controls?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clc3251
OK, I have been told that there are a few items on the bike that are not stock. Specifically the exhaust, horn, headlight cover, laydown plate holder, dual front disks and the skull emblems on various parts of the bike. Anything else jump out at you guys as non-stock? There is a lot of chrome on it, which I thought was factory, but a harley owning friend of mine says a lot of it is replaced. These are pics that the seller took and one shows the straight up plate holder and one has the laydown holder, which is what is currently on the bike. Here is the other side:
Some stuff I think are non-stock, but I'd have to see a stock LR to be sure:
grips
smoked turn signal lenses
chrome belt guard
chrome pulley
chrome battery cover
fork brace

..better start buying chrome polish by the case!!
JK...nice looking scoot...good luck with her!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice looking bike! The drifter bags are sharp looking! I've been considering those myself! As others have said,go with factory forward controls!
I have a Badlander seat and a Mustang vintage solo! I'm 6'1"...The mustang seat is more comfortable to sit on but moved me forward a bit! The riding position for me with the Badlander is better but to hard on my butt!
I also have lower back pain,bad knees and cramp up in the hips.
I don't know how old you are but I'm over 60 and figure a lot of the discomfort just comes with age! I don't do long rides anymore so I deal with it.
Might be time for me to look at baggers

Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Sharp Lowrider!
Try the Factory forward controls first a fairly easy do it yourself project, then ride and see how it feels. Like others have posted you have quite a few extras on your FXDL. Seats are a very individual and can really become costly. The standard HD Badlander seat is a little narrower and quite a bit firmer then the factory seat, Not sure if it will set you any further back.
Congratulations
Carl

Last edited by rowan; 11-17-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Info added
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Harley lists a different part number for Dyna models (49080-06A) but it is listed for 06 and up. I can't find a listing or a reference for the 49080-03A kit fitting the 03 FXDL. Is that the 3 at the end of the part #? Just want to make sure I get the right kit.
Here's a link to the kit in H-D's catalog. -03 is for the year the part was introduced, letter A means a slight mod to the initial design.

If you check Ebay for 49080-03 you'll find some auctions for the fwd ctrl kit.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the Anniversary edition FXDL! Seems like you identified most of the appearance mods.

A few others may or may not be the following: Front and rear axle nut covers. Derby cover. Maybe speedo/tach housing (my '00 FXDL was black) but not sure about the 2003. From the reflection the rear brake pedal looks like it might be chrome, but hard to tell for certain from the pic.

When your wife is speaking to you again, give me a shout if you want chrome lower fork sliders. I have a mint set from HD which I just took off my bike when I changed my front end. Also have the Custom Cycle Engineering chrome triple trees and fork truss which I bought when I got rid of the eyebrow and went with a lower triple tree mounted headlight.

Good luck with the bike.

OK, I have been told that there are a few items on the bike that are not stock. Specifically the exhaust, horn, headlight cover, laydown plate holder, dual front disks and the skull emblems on various parts of the bike. Anything else jump out at you guys as non-stock? There is a lot of chrome on it, which I thought was factory, but a harley owning friend of mine says a lot of it is replaced. These are pics that the seller took and one shows the straight up plate holder and one has the laydown holder, which is what is currently on the bike. Here is the other side:

Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM
clc3251
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Here's a link to the kit in H-D's catalog. -03 is for the year the part was introduced, letter A means a slight mod to the initial design.

If you check Ebay for 49080-03 you'll find some auctions for the fwd ctrl kit.

Thanks, Probably going to order the factory forward controls. If they are still too short there is a 3" extension kit, but i don't like that way it looks. It puts the controls way out in front of the frame. Plus it costs like $180. I think I will be ok with the factory extended ones. found them at Chicago Harley Davidson online for $279.96 That seems like a pretty good price. Also seriously considering that Mustang wide solo seat with the detachable backrest. I initially didn't want a backrest, but it would be nice to have the option to put it on for long highway rides. Pretty expensive though at over $400 with the backrest. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

...It puts the controls way out in front of the frame...
You're absolutely right on this one. Here's how it looks (posted by SuperFastGlide). If using the extension plates you'll need a longer brake rod as well!

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
love mine im 6'4''
...Thanks for all the help...
My pleasure!

Quick Reply: New to me 2003 Dyna low rider owner looking for advice