Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this riser work on my 'SG with stock cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this riser work on my 'SG with stock cables?

Meant to say '11 Super Glide but can't edit thread title.

Harley part # 56269-09, 4" curved pullback riser.

I'm getting some neck pain after about an hour and although I'm 5-11 and wear a 35" sleeve length I'm thinking the problem is that I'm having to hunch forward a little to grab the bars. I've tried adjusting them up and down but doesn't seem to make any difference.

If this won't fly, any other ideas that don't require changing out the cables and brake line?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If your cable lengths are the same as my 2007 FXDC you will be fine. I put 4 inch straight risers on my bike with the stock buckhorns without any cable length issues whatsoever.

I am fairly certain the cable lengths are identical. You should be just fine with cable lengths imho.

I have since replaced all my cables and installed mini apes for the comfort factor. But that is another story.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Tom

Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
dondee
Tourer

If the 4" pullback risers would work with stock cables, would the 6" pullback risers from Harley work as well?

I should have said that I really like the stock buckhorn bars-I was just thinking about getting them higher and closer to me. They're identical to the ones on my '03 FatBoy-but I'm starting to get neck pain on that one too. Truth be told I guess I always did but I'm getting older and don't tolerate it as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dondee
If the 4" pullback risers would work with stock cables, would the 6" pullback risers from Harley work as well?

I should have said that I really like the stock buckhorn bars-I was just thinking about getting them higher and closer to me. They're identical to the ones on my '03 FatBoy-but I'm starting to get neck pain on that one too. Truth be told I guess I always did but I'm getting older and don't tolerate it as well.
Not really sure, but I would think you would be pushing it, perhaps beyond what your cable lengths would be able to handle.

Have you considered other bars that may get you in the reach-position that you prefer without risers? Just a thought. Those risers a bit pricey if I am not mistaken. I bought a pair of mini apes for 30 bucks from a forum member a few years ago. I recently bought another set which was ready for internal wiring for 40 bucks.

edit,

You might like to know that after I put the risers on my buckhorns, I thought they looked a little goofy, you may not come to that conclusion, but thought I should add that.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 11-15-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 AM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by ZeroFiveFour
Not really sure, but I would think you would be pushing it, perhaps beyond what your cable lengths would be able to handle.

Have you considered other bars that may get you in the reach-position that you prefer without risers? Just a thought. Those risers a bit pricey if I am not mistaken. I bought a pair of mini apes for 30 bucks from a forum member a few years ago. I recently bought another set which was ready for internal wiring for 40 bucks.

edit,

You might like to know that after I put the risers on my buckhorns, I thought they looked a little goofy, you may not come to that conclusion, but thought I should add that.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Tom
Tom I appreciate your thoughts, especially the part in your "edit". I had actually thought it might look a little goofy myself-but I do like the buckhorns so I was trying to convince myself it'd look OK I guess. The factory risers on both bikes are either 1" or 2" depending on what point a riser is measured to so I was hoping the 4" might not be so noticeable. Of course the stock ones have no pullback, so there you go. Guess I'd just have to try it and see.

As a side note I just looked at the 4" risers with 1-1/2" pullback in the Kury catalog and it says they work fine with stock cables and lines on 1" bars which it looks like both my bikes have.

Another thought I had was before doing anything more drastic trying to readjust the bars upward and see if that helps. I have them down about as far as they will go without the turn signals hitting the tank thinking that would bring them closer to me based on the design of the buckhorns. But it may also be causing me to hunch over more. My son went riding with me Sunday and he mentioned too that something was making him uncomfortable in the neck and back. We rode for about 3-4 hours and switched bikes at the halfway point so his comment was about both bikes. And he's only 30 and is 6'-1" so reach should not have been a problem for him.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM
EDHI711
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 6" HD pullback risers & later added 2" Jim's spacers to 09 Fatbob with no issues with cables.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by EDHI711
I put 6" HD pullback risers & later added 2" Jim's spacers to 09 Fatbob with no issues with cables.
Hey EDHI711, thanks more than you know for that tidbit!

Looks like either 4 or 6 inch pullback risers will work then, just comes down to cosmetics I guess.

EXCEPT, I just noticed that the Harley riser kits are for 1-1/4" bars and looks like both of mine are 1", so guess I'd either have to go aftermarket or change out bars.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The control cables should be fine. Where you may run out of length is the wiring harness that goes to your speedo. I have 4" pullback risers on mine and it will not stretch any further. You may be able to remove the fuel tank and try to get some slack but I don't know if there is any there.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have considered using these risers on my 2010 FXDC. I like the buckhorns as well and would just like the bars to be a little bit further back towards me. I'm 5'10" 190lbs.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=286&page=1

From the pics here I don't think they look bad.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by BCKNBLK
I have considered using these risers on my 2010 FXDC. I like the buckhorns as well and would just like the bars to be a little bit further back towards me. I'm 5'10" 190lbs.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=286&page=1

From the pics here I don't think they look bad.
Thanks Bruce, those look like they may be just the ticket. I'm thinking 2" back is about exactly what I need. Don't necessarily need an increase in height, I think I can accomplish that by rotating the bars upward.

I'm thinking I will order this and give it a try.

Quick Reply: Will this riser work on my 'SG with stock cables?