Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** best free mod 4 brighter headlight **

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ** best free mod 4 brighter headlight **

YES, I took out the diffuser. It is a diffuser, not a reflector. I was tired of extremely poor lighting at night after adjusting the aim numerous times. The diffuser is a steel piece used to cover the bulb and reduce the amount of light to the reflector. It is suppose to allow only a small amount to the reflector to obtain a certain beam pattern. The steel base is still needed for the bulb spring to attach to. Being the perfectionist I am, I used masking tape to mark the cut on the diffuser so it is flush with the light reflector as seen in the pic. I also removed the HD logo from the front of the lense as the tip of the bulb was painted to reduce glare. Talk about a huge difference at night. So far the best free mod to date for me.

Attached Thumbnails ** best free mod 4 brighter headlight **-img_5621.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job, free mods are always cool. Did you stand some distance in front of your bike at night to see that the new pattern is not annoying to oncoming vehicles? Is this diffuser removal a reversible mod?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:06 PM
love4steel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to believe this... anyone else?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is also what makes your high beam reflect upwards and reach out farther, I'm betting you've reduced the high beam's efficiency and most likely are blinding other drivers with uncontrolled light.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by p51bombay
It is also what makes your high beam reflect upwards and reach out farther, I'm betting you've reduced the high beam's efficiency and most likely are blinding other drivers with uncontrolled light.
Once again it is not a refracting the light to the reflector then out. It is a diffuser to reduce light. Removing it allows more light to make it to the reflector and output is even and spreadout than narrow and blocked. No one flashes me but the pattern is much more usable. REMEMBER, the bulb has a diffuser on the side to reduce output to the left oncoming traffic and a painted bulb cover to reduce glare. Bulbs must have that to meet certain guidelines.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
The Dean
Road Master

Might it heat the glass lense to the point of "BOOM"? I really don't run much at night but keep us posted.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM
rdown1976
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this a long time ago...helps some, but not a huge difference IMO...new bulb is better

Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

great idea thanks...

Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a Sylvania Silverstar bulb it makes a big difference.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Yup...now you have semi-blinded cars driving directly towards you...with poor vision. Not a predicament I'd want to me in....make sure to practice your emergency swerves.

Quick Reply: ** best free mod 4 brighter headlight **