Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 FXD motor mount broken - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Gummiente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 FXD motor mount broken - AGAIN!

I've searched the forum here for motor mount related posts, but most of them seem to be about pre-'06 models. What I need to know is info specific to '06 Dynas - how many owners have had problems with broken motor mounts? Mine is going into the shop on Saturday to get the lower front mount replaced again. This is the second time, the first one was changed about 2,000km ago. The rear mount was replaced at the 13,000km mark a few weeks ago and now at a little over 14,000km the front is shot again.

I have noticed - and told the service rep before - that the bike vibrates excessively at 110-115kmh in 6th gear and has done so right from the day I first rode it last October. So much that I can't ride at that speed for very long, as it feels very harsh under the seat and at the handlebars. It will also do this at about the same rpm in any of the other gears. Is this a common thing with 06's? Is there a known issue with the motor mounts?

I have the extended warranty on mine but I'm really not keen on having to replace motor mounts every 2k or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:55 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: '06 FXD motor mount broken - AGAIN!

Mike you just ride to hard LOL

Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
redheadfred
Cruiser

I have heard of all the 06's having motor mount probs from our bikes to ultra classics . Had to have mine changed at 9,000 miles

Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
rogue_rob
Tourer

maybe the rear wheel isn't aligned or balanced properly causing excessive vibration......

Old 09-22-2006, 10:48 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Link.....Read Post #4

Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice Dyna dude...

Old 09-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Gummiente
Advanced

ORIGINAL: WS6 Formula

Link.....Read Post #4
I remembered you posting that link and it was the first thing I looked at before I started this thread. But the details in that link apply to an '05 model and as mine is the '06 with the new frame, I'm wondering if the setup has changed...? Aside from that mine has the severe vibration problem only at one rpm, not across the whole powerband. This makes me wonder if maybe the flywheel is out of balance is causing the motor to go nuts at that one particular rpm, thereby overstressing and tearing the motor mount.

Anyway, I'll be hanging around while they do the replacement tomorrow and will make a point of having them bring me in to look at the new mount before they tighten everything down; if I do see a gap as per the pictures in the link you've provided you can bet your butt I'll say something about it.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Gummiente,
My bike is also a 2006, this is what I wrote in the begining of that link.

Having the engine mount preloaded from the factory is most likely the cause of engine mount failures. When I removed my vapor canister my frame mount pulled forward and the engine mount also pulled away into a stress free condition. I had a jack under the engine so that I could screw the bolts in by hand with no resistance which gave me a 3/8" gap that I shimmed with washers. Then I came across the below post and it seems to be a common problem on rubber mounted bikes.

nine11c2............Thank You

Old 09-23-2006, 01:55 AM
misfit
Advanced

I had to have my front mount replaced at my 1000 mile service, but I'm over 7000 miles and no problems since. Oh, by the way it is an '06 FXDI. Maybe it was just a bad batch of mounts?

Old 09-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Gummiente
Advanced

WS6, thanks. I missed the part about yours being an '06.

Quick Reply: '06 FXD motor mount broken - AGAIN!