Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Selling a Street Bob for Loan Amount

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Have both partys go to a Dealership....They will do the paper wpork and DMV stuff for a fee....

Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dondee
I couldn't be understanding this correctly.

You gave a guy a cashier's check for a bike and only got a bill of sale and a "promise" that he'd pay it off and hand you the title a month later when he got back to town?

Please tell me I've missed something here.
Nope...you got it right. Cashiers check for $ for both the SB and the H3...get a Bill of Sale and keep a copy of the cashiers check....here if they were to cash the check and not send the Clear Title....some one is gonna be in deep kimchi.

It also helps if the back of the check says

Endorsement of this check guarantees Free and Clear Title to ____ _____ Vin#__________

Not many people walking around these days with a stack of Titles to toys they have paid off.

Karsten

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except that there's a bit of a catch-22 conundrum here. No bank or credit union will advance good cash money or other negotiable instrument until they have the clear title in their hand. Just a promise from Harley won't do it. And Harley won't release the title until they have not just certified funds in hand, but cleared certified funds.

There's no incentive for them to do such just to make a couple of points of interest down the road-the downside risk is just too great.

All this is now complicated by the times we're living in; a buyer has to be not only in an extreme equity position to obtain third-party financing on a discretionary purchase like a bike, but he must also be solid gold credit wise.

REALLY ?

Becuase they do it thousands of times a day at hundreds of dealerships all over the country with cars and motorcycles ...

Think about it, you go in to buy a car ...do you have to wait for the bank to get the title before you can drive it home ?

you are very very wrong...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by Karsten
Nope...you got it right. Cashiers check for $ for both the SB and the H3...get a Bill of Sale and keep a copy of the cashiers check....here if they were to cash the check and not send the Clear Title....some one is gonna be in deep kimchi.

It also helps if the back of the check says

Endorsement of this check guarantees Free and Clear Title to ____ _____ Vin#__________

Not many people walking around these days with a stack of Titles to toys they have paid off.

Karsten
Karsten, all that stuff is meaningless if the seller decides to stiff you and disappears. Or sells you a stolen bike, or whatever.

You are indeed a very, very fortunate man.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
rmatt34
Road Master

Originally Posted by Griff08fxdc
Have both partys go to a Dealership....They will do the paper wpork and DMV stuff for a fee....

Good Point !

That is also true.. and Harley credit finances used bikes private sale now too !!!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
rmatt34
Road Master

Karsten, all that stuff is meaningless if the seller decides to stiff you and disappears. Or sells you a stolen bike, or whatever.

You are indeed a very, very fortunate man.
dondee IS correct on this one ...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by rmatt34
REALLY ?

Becuase they do it thousands of times a day at hundreds of dealerships all over the country with cars and motorcycles ...

Think about it, you go in to buy a car ...do you have to wait for the bank to get the title before you can drive it home ?

you are very very wrong...
Of course not.

Dealers are by definition licensed by the state in which they do business and have to post a bond which is for the sole purpose of making sure that a buyer is made whole if the dealer defaults.

REALLY!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
rmatt34
Road Master

Of course not.

Dealers are by definition licensed by the state in which they do business and have to post a bond which is for the sole purpose of making sure that a buyer is made whole if the dealer defaults.

REALLY!
SO ARE BANKS AND CREDIT UNIONS !!!

I can't even tell you how many times I've done this ... Just go in to your bank/credit union and ask them about it..

Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
dondee
Tourer

SO ARE BANKS AND CREDIT UNIONS !!!

I can't even tell you how many times I've done this ... Just go in to your bank/credit union and ask them about it..
But Matt, a bank or credit union cannot be made to provide title on a vehicle they didn't sell to start with! They're only there to provide financing and have no other obligation.

Anyway, I'll gracefully back out before this gets more contentious and if the OP would like to know anything more he's welcome to PM me and I'll sure try to help.

It's funny, although a lifetime biker I probably know far less about mechanicals, etc. than most on this forum. I'm unfortunately relegated to being a question asker, not answerer. Finally a topic arises where I have a lifetime of experience, and well...

OP, proceed cautiously!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right !!!! now that is the definition of INSANE.. !!!

If they don't have the title , they DON'T OWN IT !

If they don't own it, YOU DON'T PAY THEM..

You pay the lein holder directly or through financing , they will get any equity ..

Kartsen, this could have gone very very bad, I would not do this again in the future...you got lucky.
It could go very wrong if you don't cover all your bases, have the right paper work done and signed by the seller as well as a copy of the cashiers check and position of said vehicle.

2 Harley's, 1 boat, 1 ATV and the H3 were all bought from Private owners, paid for with a cashiers check and all was well...clear title and all transferred over just fine.

Everything is different where ever you go...here, don't sale something you can't transfer clear title to.

I also did about 10 years in retail auto sale and most as a manager.

Karsten

Quick Reply: Question about Selling a Street Bob for Loan Amount